B
Posted By
BJNicholls
Nov 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After I changed Wacom tablet drivers, Photoshop CS took freakin’ forever to start. I assumed the application had died before starting and killed it a couple of times before doing a reinstall. The behavior was the same after the reinstall when I tried to start the application, but I discovered (I didn’t shut down the non-responding app)that a few minutes later CS finally finished starting up. After this extremely slow startup, CS now starts up much more quickly.

I imagine that this is "as designed". CS seems to want to develop a much more intimate relationship with my machine tha PS7 or any other earlier version. You might at least add a warning icon and some elevator muzak so we don’t conclude the application has an embolism.

Do I get to look forward to this every time I update a device driver?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 15, 2003
Check your plugins folder for non-plugin files (like certain AutoFX settings).

Check your printer – if your default printer is a network printer that isn’t available, it’s going to be REALLY slow to start.
B
BJNicholls
Nov 15, 2003
Default printers are local, I have yet to install any plugins.

Now I’ve identified that Illustrator CS, Acrobat Pro 6 and Photoshop CS share a print scaling bug when I’m using custom page sizes with my Epson 2200 printer. An image that’s set to print at 100% comes out about about 10% overscaled for the page. Photoshop 7 handles this user-defined page size fine. Looks like the new print engine needs work.
JJ
Jerry_Jensen
Nov 15, 2003
Only time that I have ever seen this type of problem is when the system is having a problem IDing and/or reading the hard drives. Have you checked that possibility out?
DM
Don_McCahill
Nov 15, 2003
Re: Looks like the new print engine needs work.

Or, to be fair, that the programming shortcuts that were inserted into your Epson driver to make it work with PS 7 have to be cleaned up by Epson so that they will work correctly with CS.

If something works correctly for other printers, but not your Epson, then it is an Epson bug, not an Adobe bug.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 18, 2003
BJN – the print code didn’t change from PS 7 to PS CS.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections