VA
Posted By
valerie_ardis
Nov 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
am buying anew computer currently have photoshop 7 running on an intel celeron(ouch)..on a budget so was llloking at an amd athlon 2600..packed with memory and awesome graphics card. does anyone have this computer and how does your photoshop run. thank you in advance

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

S
SimRacer
Nov 13, 2003
wrote in message
am buying anew computer currently have photoshop 7 running on an intel
celeron(ouch)..on a budget so was llloking at an amd athlon 2600..packed with memory and awesome graphics card. does anyone have this computer and how does your photoshop run. thank you in advance

Hmmm. I have something close, it’s an AMD 2800+ chip, with 1GB (1000 MB, whatever you fancy to call it) of fast RAM, and I have also switched to SATA hard drives this go round and built it up on an Asus A7N8V Deluxe motherboard. My video card is a GeForce FX 5600 Ultra (mainly for the gaming set, but is plenty powerful for image editing) and I can tell you that it *almost* runs PS 7 like regular old Windows Paint. Yes, that spritely. The new SATA drives are essentially a new incarnation of SCSI drives and are quite fast. I find that working with images up to 60MB in size is really not that big of a deal to this machine. Printing on the other hand, will not change. I use the Firewire connection from this computer to my Epson 2200 and it still takes time to print at SuperPhoto2880 quality settings…some things, a speedy computer will not help much. But when working with large images, things that used to take minutes or more on my older machine takes seconds now. Not instantaneous by any means, but you have no excuses to go fix a cup of coffe while it does anything except print.
L
LenHewitt
Nov 14, 2003
Valerie,

and awesome graphics card. <<

If Photoshop is your main concern, an "awesome" graphics card isn’t necessary…..Photoshop won’t use more than video memory than required by your scren rez and colour depth, and 32megs is more than enough for that. Neither will it use any 3D capabilities. A Matrox G450 or 550 will do just fine.

You should be absolutely fine with the Athlon….
CS
Carol_Steele
Nov 14, 2003
PS7 (and CS) will run without a problem with AMD chips. However, 2D graphics don’t require a multi Mb graphics card – these can be simple 16Mb cards and they will run at lightning speed on large (or even dual) monitors.

The very expensive cards are more suited to 3D applications or games where the extra memory will be beneficial in 3D rendering.

My advice would be to get a Matrox G550 card and use the extra money for extra RAM.

Carol
(Posted from the UK)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections