Posted By
Craig_W_Walsh
Nov 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just installed Photoshop CS.

When I open the new software I get an error message, "Could not import the clipboard because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered." But Photoshop seems to otherwise function OK.

I’ve read the messages on the forum about all the problems caused by an end-of-file error when working on an image, so this error message was a bit of a worry. As far as I know, I have nothing in the clipboard.

Can anyone shed any light on this error message? What can (should) I do to repair so that I don’t get the error message in the future?

I appreciate the assistance. Thanks!

Craig Walsh

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EW
ekim_wahs
Nov 13, 2003
Try purging the clipboard via edit/purge/clipboard
CW
Craig_W_Walsh
Nov 13, 2003
"Purge" is shaded on the edit menu. I opened a photograph. Still shaded. Selected part of the photograph. Now I can select "purge," but "clipboard" is shaded. So I went to edit>purge>all. Clicked OK and got a warning that it couldn’t be undone. Clicked OK again, and I guess something happened. No error message — but also no confirmation message.

Is "clipboard" gray because Photoshop thinks there’s nothing in the clipboard?

I appreciate your prompt reply. Many thanks for your help.
CW
Craig_W_Walsh
Nov 13, 2003
Further development. I exited Photoshop, and then re-started. Got the same clipboard and end-of-file message, I’m afraid.

Thanks,

Craig
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 13, 2003
empty the clip board of image data by going into say notepad and copying some text.
CW
Craig_W_Walsh
Nov 13, 2003
Dave —

That seems to have done the trick. I’ve exited and started Photoshop several times, and no error messages. Great! Was the presence of this error message previously anything to worry about? All the forum postings about end-of-file data are scary: lots of lost work.

Regards,

Craig
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 13, 2003
Was the presence of this error message previously anything to worry about?

Nah. Just some garbage in your clipboard. This IS windows we’re talking about! 🙂
CW
Craig_W_Walsh
Nov 13, 2003
Amen.

I found CS Premium difficult to install. There are no installation instructions, so it comes as a surprise (as the installation wizard is running) that you need to first uninstall Acrobat 5. The wizard asks if you want it to do so, and says you will then need to re-start. But then it didn’t give me a chance to restart, and proceeded with the installation. Of course, that messed everything up.

Had to roll back to uninstall, and then install piece by piece. Very time-consuming and frustrating. You’d think Adobe would at least include a card with instructions, particularly if they want you to uninstall a program first.

If only I got to make these command decisions…

Thanks for your help. Have a good week-end.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 14, 2003
you’re welcome. you too.
L
LenHewitt
Nov 14, 2003
Craig,

There are no installation instructions<<

NOT SO!

How To Install.html
Read Me First.htm

Both in the root folder of the Installation CD

To Quote from the Read Me First.htm:

"
Installation Notes for Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite must be installed using the installer application included with the Installer 1 CD-ROM; for more information on how to install please refer to the How To Install.html document located on the Adobe Creative Suite Installer 1 CD. Last minute technical issues relating to the installation of the Adobe Creative Suite are listed at the bottom of this file.

a.. Windows only:
a.. If you have Adobe Acrobat® 5.0 installed, you will need to uninstall it and restart Windows before installing Adobe Creative Suite to avoid possible issues.
CW
Craig_W_Walsh
Nov 14, 2003
Thanks for the clarification. But I didn’t look for a how-to-install file on the CD-ROM. I’ve never done this before. (Perhaps I should now.)

I looked for installation instructions in the box. My point is that relatively expensive software (this isn’t freebie software stuck to a computer magazine cover) should come with simple printed instructions, particularly when there’s something as significant as uninstalling Acrobat 5.0 involved. Adobe had the funds to print a multi-page booklet, in numerous languages, asking me to please register.

In the absence of printed instructions, I put the first installation CD-ROM in my computer and clicked on the "install" icon. It came up with a pop-up telling me to uninstall Acrobat and re-start and gave me an "uninstall" button. I clicked the button, expecting the wizard to then ask me "do you want to re-start now?" But it didn’t.

In the absence of printed instructions, I think the wizard should stop the installation — dead — until Acrobat 5.0 has been uninstalled and the computer re-started.

But that’s just me. And because of my mistake, the installation process involved uninstalling, roll-backs, etc.

This reminds me of road signs. I’ve always felt they were installed by someone local, who knew where he was going anyway. I think road signs should be installed by someone from out-of-town.

The CS installation wizard, lack of instructions, etc. were finalized by someone who knew (anyway) how to install the software. Should have been finalized, in my opinion, by someone like me — someone who is guaranteed to press the wrong button.

Have a great week-end.

Thanks,

Craig
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 14, 2003
This reminds me of road signs. I’ve always felt they were installed by someone local, who knew where he was going anyway. I think road signs should be installed by someone from out-of-town.

Heh! Good analogy Craig.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections