Posted By
Tim_Francis
Nov 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey all,

Im thinking about going for my certification in Adobe Photoshop.

Ive just been on the ACE site and it says that they have there exams currently as 50% off. Im presuming that this is because of the CS series of software that has just been released, will have a new exam to replace the current ACE Photoshop 7.0 exam.

Then I was reading in the Agreement Terms that, as soon as a major upgrade of software has taken place (like in this case) that the certification is useless, and you must retake the exam.

So I presume there is no point to me taking this 50% off Photoshop 7.0 exam then?

Also does anyone have any link or documents to better prepare my self for the exam, like self test exams etc.

Any help is much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JB
Jonathan_Balza
Nov 13, 2003
If you are planning on keeping current with the certification, then I wouldn’t bother.

The new test should be out soon, with 7 it took a few weeks, if I remember correctly. (I want to say 90 days, but I don’t really remember, it’s been a while since I took the test.)

As to study material, I would recommend 2 books: The User Manual and Adobe Classroom in a Book.

For more info, check here:

<http://partners.adobe.com/asn/training/acehowto.jsp>
TF
Tim_Francis
Nov 14, 2003
Thanks for your response Jonathan. Im going to order Adobe Classroom CS which is released in december so I presume the exam will be out then.

From your experiance as a certified pro, can you say how much this has had an impact on drawing to customers and clients to you?
JB
Jonathan_Balza
Nov 14, 2003
Hmmm… Difficult question. I mostly did that certification for my own edification, not really thinking I would get more clients, etc… At the time I took it, I was teaching high school, and wanted some motivation to dig deeper into Photoshop.

However, now that I do have the certification, it is much easier to justify charging my clients more money because of it. I made up for the cost of the exam (plus some) after just the first small project I completed for a client. On average, I would say I can charge 50% more because of my certification.

More qualifying thoughts: Keep in mind that I am a kind of a unique situation. I am very young (23) and just starting out my career, so having certification really sets me apart from other people my age. But, I imagine that if I was later on in my career, and had much more experience along with a larger body of work, this single certification wouldn’t do as much to set me apart.

I still recommend taking the test for your own edification anyway. Even after studying for a month, (and using the program for much longer than that) there were still questions on the exam that I had NO CLUE about. Learning those items were well worth the cost of the exam.
TF
Tim_Francis
Nov 14, 2003
Hi Jon, me to Im just 22 but have been using this program fairly thoroughly since 98. The only area Im yet to get deeply involved in is with Print/color profiles. Where Im from absolutely no body has any certification for using design tools, so Im going to take the ACE for photoshop and illustrator and perhaps Indesign, then do the Macromedia Certification for Dreamweaver, Flasher Designer and eventually Flash Developer.

See Im self taught, no university or bachelors degree for me, so I need some kind of structure for presenting my self as a qualified professional.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections