Why don’t my crtl commands work in PS CS?

G
Posted By
GuestMan
Nov 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After having bought Photoshop CS, installing it, and using it for 2 days, suddenly my commands that use the control key doesn’t work (ex. [open] ctrl+o, [copy] ctrl+c, [paste] ctrl+v, [last filter] ctrl+f just to name a few….).

It’s extremely annoying. It works like a absolute dream the first two days, then all of the sudden it goes and ***** up like mad cow who just saw a alien.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 13, 2003
Read the FAQ.

Either your keyboard driver needs to be updated, or you need to remove the activation crack.
H
Ho
Nov 13, 2003
As a bonus, if you are using an activation crack, all the system files on your boot drive will be deleted by a date-activated batch file written to an undocumented area of the boot sector.

Enjoy.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 13, 2003
Are you saying that everything, OS, apps etc that exist on the boot drive would be deleted, or only CS? The implications of allowing a program to install that kind of control of a computer is staggering!

How would you even know? A dirty trickster could sell you an innocent program and thereby gain this sort of command of your system?

Say it isn’t so!
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 13, 2003
The danger of sarcasm is that it is more difficult to express in words than through the emotion of expression.

It isn’t so. πŸ™‚
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 13, 2003
Wasn’t meant to be sarcastic, although it’s a good read on it! πŸ˜‰
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 13, 2003
I meant Ho’s comment, not yours, Lawrence. Yours nearly sounded genuinely concerned, which did surprise me you’d not have known better. So, maybe I’m the one who tripped up in what emotions couldn’t be read between the lines! ha!
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 13, 2003
which did surprise me you’d not have known better.

Know better how? Cathcing the sarcasm or the question itself? (Rhetorical question. I know what you meant!<G>) So just to answer Larry’s q’s:

It is ENTIRELY possible to do what Larry describes. If you download a crack or some other program from an unknown source, you run the risk of them placing code on your system that may in fact destroy it. Since you run it with your full user permissions, if you’re an admin user on your box, you’re in effect telling the trojan/virus/worm that it has full admin privleges (or whatever level of access you do have) to do whatever it dern well feels like. Including setting up new admin accounts, upgrading privleges of guest accounts. Changing data willy nilly. Deleteing programs and files. Disabling anti-virus and firewalls (or just specific ports to be probed later). And yes, formatting any drive in your system.
JM
John_Mensinger
Nov 13, 2003
Again, with some "reading," I interpret Daryl’s comment to mean that he (Lawrence), should have known better than to express such genuine concern over the implications of having used an activation crack, (and therefore possibly implicating himself as being guilty of using the crack).
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 13, 2003
Well, I took Ho’s remark as a description of what Adobe or any other software producer could do if one attempts an activation crack. That’s the confusion.

Of course I knew that incorporating such crack software is replete with dangers from that source, and I would not blame Adobe for having a backup that responded to a crack by freezing or otherwise disabling their software. It was the extensive damage to all system folders that got my attention.

Actually, any entitity being able to write to an undocumented sector without my capability to do something about it does trouble me. At that point, I am no longer the system admin. They are.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 13, 2003
I took Ho’s remark as a description of what Adobe or any other software producer could do if one attempts an activation crack.

Including code to make sure the app wasn’t "tampered" with isn’t that big a deal. But I doubt a company like adobe would delete the contents of your hard drive becasue of it! The app maybe. I thought you were getting at what could the crack writer do to your system.

any entitity being able to write to an undocumented sector without my capability to do something about it does trouble me

yup.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 13, 2003
Big mis-interpretation all around!

Dave has it right. I don’t use cracks, period. What I was addressing is the nature of a bit of code in an undocumented sector installed by anybody and invisible to me, the administrator. No implication of use of such things as cracks should be assumed or concluded.
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 13, 2003
Awww, C’mon Lawrence, I know you’re a crack head <grin>
2ears
Nov 13, 2003
Actually, any entitity being able to write to an undocumented sector without my capability to do something about it does trouble me. At that point, I am no longer the system admin. They are.

At the very moment you accept to buy a software with an activation system you loose control of that software and you accept the company has total control of it, at least.
The comany can perfectly act as some viruses do : they can refuse, at some point in the future, to re-activate your software. You are completly hopeless. If, say, you want to re-install PS CS in 2020 I doubt Adobe will agree to reactivate it. You will just understand how much you have been stollen your money by nothing more that sharks.

Understand it clearly : with activation, you are no more given a non-limited license to use the software. Contrary to what says the licence on the paper – and here is the lie – you are just given a permission to use it temporarly.

In other words, you are purly renting it, under the disguise of anti-piracy. Adobe can quick you out any time they want.

Softwares are to be rented as DVD now are. Using anti-piracy excuses is a shame.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 13, 2003
I want to see that in the contract.

Hey Tony! Crackhead? Never used the stuff!

This is all good material for a book. Call it :

"Asphalts and other Cracks" πŸ˜‰
H
Ho
Nov 13, 2003
Oops. Sorry to have confused the innocent. It was just my small attempt at humor for the masses delivered with the faint hope of striking terror into the hearts of a few software parasites.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 13, 2003
Plus using the PS CS crack will make hair grow on your palms! And they alter the gamma output of your monitor to modify your dna and plant subliminal messages. Crackers are weasels. (Nod to Mr. Adams)
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 14, 2003
Plus using the PS CS crack will make hair grow on your palms!

Yes, I have hair on my palms, but I have never used a crack, your honor.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 14, 2003
Um, there’s another thing that’ll do that, but as far as I know, that’s not illegal. Bad taste maybe, but not illegal! πŸ™‚
DM
Don_McCahill
Nov 14, 2003
Re: Understand it clearly : with activation, you are no more given a non-limited license to use the software.

Your first word should be Misunderstand. You clearly don’t understand the license. When you buy the package and accept the license you and Adobe are making an agreement that both parties must abide by. Adobe cannot stop letting you use the program, unless you break your part of the conditions.

This could be something like Adobe finding hundreds of activation attempts coming in on your software, leading them to believe you have shared out the software. Even then, you are allowed to call the company, and plead your case. If you have a valid reason for multiple registrations (I can’t think of one for hundreds, but there are lots for activations in the dozens) they will continue to let you use the software.

I can’t believe the "big brother" attitude that is being foisted on Adobe. They haven’t been unreasonable in the past, and most of the people here who are legitimate users of the software are upset only because the pirates have forced Adobe to do something that makes it a bit harder for us.

I personally love the idea that the crack copies can’t use the control key. I just wish it was save and print they lost.
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 14, 2003
Hi Don,

Being as I used the "big brother" analogy in a separate thread, I’ll just say again that I do understand the reasons for activation and its intent for controlling "casual copying" of the software. However hat doesn’t stop me from being perturbed by the fact that activation takes away the privilege of being able to install and run an application without 2nd party coordination. As you say, it basically makes use of PS a "bit harder"…such a small bit for the majority of us that arguing the point takes more effort than it is worth. I think some of us are just debating it as a "matter of principle", while also trying to point out some valid areas where at least some of the current restraints could be loosened. And, it seems Adobe is listening, even if they ultimately make no changes.

In one of the earlier posts, I commented to Scott Byer on my speculation as to how employing some sort of "countermeasures" for an application crack would be pretty clever. I don’t think that is what happened with respect to the PS CS crack, but certainly it is possible. But, as with the original faulty crack, you can bet that a working one is available by now. In fact, I feel as if the number of posts about CTRL key problems is diminishing, although that could be simply for folks wising up to actually searching the forum first, before asking another dumb question. And where there is a working crack, there may well be a future dot release to defeat it again. I think Scott even hinted at that possibility. πŸ™‚

Regards,

Daryl
RH
r_harvey
Nov 14, 2003
And where there is a working crack, there may well be a future dot release to defeat it again. I think Scott even hinted at that possibility.

I’ll have to check how far that is up the feature requests. I would be more likely to purchase Photoshop CS (and as of now, I have no plans to) if those resources were targeted toward things that would make my life better, instead of a futile game of cat and mouse.
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 14, 2003
Don,

You know I respect you, but the point that is often missed is that activation, in its current state transforms the traditional licens (which you agreed to) to a machine license, which you did NOT agree to.
RH
r_harvey
Nov 14, 2003
As far as I understand things (and I am not a lawyer), a computer cannot sign contracts, and it cannot own anything. Why would a license be targeted at something that cannot be held responsible for its own actions?
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 14, 2003
Well, as much as I hate to bring this up, this is the MO for certain software on mainframes – licened per CPU. I don’t know a lot about it, but remeber reading about it.

My whole point, and I’m passionate about this. You should be able to move your software at a whim, without approval. That’s what the license implies, and what is captured in the spirit of the license.

Not allowing this, is ludacris. (not the rapper)
RH
r_harvey
Nov 14, 2003
licened per CPU

But not licensed to CPUs.
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 14, 2003
licened per CPU. I don’t know a lot about it, but remeber reading about it.

The number one is Windows. Pre-loaded copies are only licensed to the machine that they are loaded on.

Bob
JJ
Jerry_Jensen
Nov 14, 2003
The number one is Windows. Pre-loaded copies are only licensed to the machine that they are loaded on.

Legal issues aside, Preloads usually only come with recovery software for the specific machine. The OS is usually tailored to work with the specific manufacturer’s system BIOS and other built ins. Activation or whatever you want to call it is not needed since it is usually impossible to use the recovery software to install anything in any machine other than the one that it came with. The "recovery" disks are usually compacted, using the manufacturer’s specific methods so any single file/program is usually hard to select. Which makes for a nasty problem, it is usually impossible to recover only a section of the software, it usually all has to be reinstalled.

I think telephone/Internet activation is a little more gentile.
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 14, 2003
Preloads usually only come with recovery software for the specific machine.

Not with Dell. You get a full version of WinXP.

Bob
JJ
Jerry_Jensen
Nov 14, 2003
Don’t own a Dell. Do you mean that you get a "full" MS OS disk that is not Dell specific? Does this mean that you also have to "Activate" windows after you get the machine?

Gateway, Sony and other machines that I have owned never supplied a separate actual MS OS disk that could be used other than on that specific machine.
C
CCCP
Nov 14, 2003
Why do you making such a big problem from nothing? It just a computer program!
Person asked you for a help and you both being sarcastic … i cannot see the point of it.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 14, 2003
my dad got a full win me disk with his gateway (and a free full version upgrade to xp home since it’s release was so close).
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 14, 2003
It’s Dell specific but only in the sense that it will not require a CD Key or activation if installed on a Dell.

Bob
RH
r_harvey
Nov 14, 2003
….it will not require activation if installed on THAT Dell, or an identical model.
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 14, 2003
It doesn’t even need to be identical. I think it’s tied to the BIOS.

Bob
RH
r_harvey
Nov 14, 2003
Well, that’s entirely different and totally unrelated. I see the light now.

Ta.
JJ
Jerry_Jensen
Nov 14, 2003
After reading all the posts appearing about the "My ctrl keys don’t work" I am beginning to feel that activation may not be all that bad. While I tend to overlook "casual copies by casual users", it appears that there are a lot of "in use for profit" unpurchased copies around.

Adobe, I am sorry that I objected so much to the "activation". However, I feel that it isn’t right to mess with my computer they way your "activation" does it.

Having said that, may your next "crack proofing" come up with "can not proceed to load system files, no boot sector found".
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 14, 2003
I’d like to see de light myself.

Quit messin’ with may machine, and I will see de light!
SB
Scott_Byer
Nov 15, 2003
Jerry,

I suspect there will be official OS support for application activation with the next major OS release. Note that what activation is doing is a *lot* less intrusive than copy protection. But I understand the concern.

-Scott
JJ
Jerry_Jensen
Nov 15, 2003
Thank you, Scott.

Glad to hear that there is at least a concern. I know that with MS-XP, there are files that appear to be impossible to remove. (well, at least they appear to most owners that way). Delete them, move them, whatever, they will always return… Screw up your power option files and try to replace them with those of another machine, for instance.

All this tells me is that there are ways in the OS to lock in "activation" procedures. Since re loading an OS is a major chore, I can’t see much objection to having to reactivate if that happens.

As far as some of these concerns, like forcing an instant activation after a system restore, I will have to wait until my copy of CS gets here to play with it a bit. (Its the freebee, except for shipping, update for a October purchase of 7.01). If that happens AFTER the program has been activated, that is BAD, BAD, BAD.

I am appalled at the number of complaints that the ctrl crack punishment has brought. I sure was not aware of the magnitude of the problem. I can surely live with activation now.
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 15, 2003
I am appalled at the number of complaints that the ctrl crack punishment has brought.

And you can figure that the number that are showing up here is not even a measurable percentage of those that have used it.

Bob
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 15, 2003
Punishment?

Is this the 21st century version of vigilantes? Or Posse Comitatus? (Latin: "power or force of the county"). Maybe Posse Corporatus! πŸ˜‰

Here’s my take on the issue: If you have never been found guilty of possessing and using cracks or whatever, there should be no reason to install anything on your computer once an activation has taken place. You are activated and that’s that. No boot sector program waiting and waiting………

If you have been a naughty person, well then suffer the consequences. One also has to be sure of the naughtiness as well.

There is no oversight to this process so far as I can see, none!
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 16, 2003
Delete them, move them, whatever, they will always return…

Look up "Windows File Protection" in XP help (off the start menu) to find out why.

edit: win2k uses WFP too.
KP
Ken_Pratt
Nov 16, 2003
I have just bought Photoshop CS as I have ever version since 3.0 and as hobbyist, I am one of the very people suspected of all the casual copying. When I spend that amount on software I sure as hell donΒ’t let anyone else have it and compromise my license. Most of the people I have met who have illegal copies made them from a pirate copy and technology does not seem able to address this issue yet.

In practice, although I don’t like activation, it has not caused me a problem. It is inconceivable that if something did go wrong that caused me to reactivate over my limit of two machines that Adobe would leave me high and dry.

I also don’t like being searched when I board a plane and have the contents of my pockets turned out for all to see but it is all part of the kind of society we live in that these thing become necessary. The good guys always seem to suffer. I know the two things are not in the same league but I am just talking principles like most of the other contributors to this subject.

In case anyone is interested my shortcuts ALL WORK and have done from the day I loaded and activated CS

Finally I would like to thank all the staff at Adobe for such a wonderful product, which has given me countless hours of fun and allowed me to express what little artistic talent I may have.

I still have not found a way of explaining to my wife why I have spent so much time with Photoshop over the years. She did once say that she would rather I had another woman than at least she could have her hair done or buy a new dress to attract me back πŸ™‚ Maybe Adobe could help me to come up with a better explanation and I will never say a word against activation again.

Regards,
Ken

Ps Should PhotoshopΒ’s addictiveness be added to the bug list? If it helps I have found the problem with all version from 3.0 and all windows operating system since 3.1
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 16, 2003
I also don’t like being searched when I board a plane and have the contents of my pockets turned out for all to see but it is all part of the kind of society we live in that these thing become necessary. The good guys always seem to suffer.

You know, I was going to bring that up. I was in line at the airport on Friday, and was thinking the very same thing. It’s a decent point, in as much as we don’t like being searched as if we’re terrorists, and they take a nail file from you and then you have a meal with a knife and fork – but that’s the way it is isn’t it?
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 16, 2003
and then you have a meal with a knife and fork

But the knife is plastic.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 16, 2003
sometimes they only give you a spork. hey, i take cheap flights! πŸ™‚
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 16, 2003
But the knife is plastic

Yeah, but you know what I mean. ‘Sides – remember in Godfather III? The assisin used a pair of eyeglasses, so, doesn’t matter.
WK
William Kazak
Dec 14, 2003
You are really in deep doodoo when you are working on a pic and image ready opens up-continuously! Been there already today!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections