M
Posted By
mikeisme
Nov 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

1.When using the black and white eyedroppers to select the darkest and lightest parts of an image, is this the same thing as dragging the dark slider and the light slider on the histogram? Even after assigning these points with the eyedroppers, do you still have to drag the sliders?

2. Why would you want to double click on the dark and white eyedroppers and assign cmyk values in the window prior to using the eyedroppers in the levels window?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BL
Bill_Lamp
Nov 12, 2003
mikeisme,

From my trying the eyedroppers, you are correct in being the same as dragging the sliders. However, for my work, I seldom have a pure featureless white or black and stopped using them several years ago.

I have found that, by scanning the slides and negatives if I leave a small amount of empty white and black range, it compensates for the brightness range loss when I print it. If I had to put numbers to this. I probably try for an "after" image of 3-252 vs 0-255.

For everything else, I move to the curves tool and sometimes fine tune the black and white points with it instead.

I don’t use CMYK so I am unable to offer anything on that part of your question.

Bill

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections