M
Posted By
Morky
Nov 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve used PS 6 & 7 for a couple of years on my current PC without major crashes. I’ve now installed Photoshop CS and in a couple of days of not very intensive use, it’s crashed my system (freeze) twice. Last night’s crash took several hours to recover from as the system wouldn’t even cold boot afterwards. I can’t find any evidence of corrupt files or hardware problems and the only change I’ve made to the system in the past few days is installing CS.
Before I do anything else, has anyone else had these problems or is it just something local to my machine?
Tyan Tiger MP S2460 Motherboard
Dual Athlon MP 1800+ CPUs
1Gb RAM
40Gb, 100Gb, 250Gb drives
Win2K 5 SP3
Regards
Morky

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
LenHewitt
Nov 11, 2003
Morky,

Applications can’t freeze the whole system. That HAS to be hardware, BIOS, a really bad driver or a bad O/S install.
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 11, 2003
Len,

Can I expand upon your comment a bit? Particularly in the case as mentioned here, where a system has performed fine up until installation of new software, I’d suggest that while the software itself may not be the direct cause, it may tax the O/S, drivers, hardware, etc. differently enough to trigger a crash.

So, if a problem cannot be directly attributed to PS CS at present, it would be a good idea to watch for a trend of problems arising, wherein some hardware component seems a common thread.

Morky, I know that’s of no help to you, but posting system information as you have is great…and hopefully others with similar problems will do likewise.

Regards,

Daryl
SB
Scott_Byer
Nov 12, 2003
True, that’s how we eventually tracked down that hardware bug on those PIII boards, oh so long ago…

Info, info, info.

(Note: bad RAM is more common than most people think, so that’s always suspect unless there’s a pattern across a number of machines).

-Scott
M
Morky
Nov 18, 2003
Guys
Thanks for the sanity check!
Sometimes it’s easy to forget the basics of troubleshooting especially when there’s so many hardware/software/firmware variables to take into account.
I’ve today discovered that one of my CPU fans has developed a fault and is running very slowly causing the CPU to overheat which has resulted today in the system shutting down without warning. I suspect that this is the cause of the recent freezing problems. It just happened to coincide with installing PS CS.
I’m wondering now whether this could have caused any permanent damage to the CPU, but that’s another discussion…
Morky

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections