PT
Posted By
Pat_Thielen
Nov 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed Photoshop CS (actually, the Adobe Creativity Suite Standard) and it runs so slow its basically worthless. Just opening a menu item takes ten seconds, and it takes even longer to first select an action and then eventually to run it. What’s up with this? Has anyone else experienced this slow performance? And this is with only photoshop running; how can I run other apps if Photoshop is going to tie my system down? I guess I’m very disappointed with this rather expensive upgrade…

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Pat Thielen-

My system is (with Photoshop CS running):

Processor: GenuineIntel Family 15 Model 2 2.7 GHz Stepping 7 Math Support: Present
BIOS: AMIINT – 10 Version 1.00, 05/19/03
Bus Type: PCI, ISA, USB
Ports: 1 Parallel, 2 Serial
Memory: 1024 MB (29% Utilized)
Floppy Disks: 1.44 MB
Hard Disks: 37.27 GB, 74.53 GB
Multimedia: Sound, CD-ROM
Video: 1600 x 1200 in 32-Bit Color, RADEON 9000 SERIES Ver. 6.14

< Operating System >
Windows: 5.1 (Build 2600)
Net Clients:
Microsoft Terminal Services
Microsoft Windows Network
Web Client Network

Memory Utilization: 29%
Total Physical Memory: 1024 MB (1073741824 Bytes)
Available Physical Memory: 509 MB (533278720 Bytes)
Page File Capacity: 3999 MB (4192813056 Bytes)
Available Page File capacity: 3663 MB (3840499712 Bytes)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

SB
Scott_Byer
Nov 11, 2003
Pat,

Do you have the File Browser set to do background procssing? If so, try turning that off.

Do you have any networked printers installed? If so, what are they and how are hey hooked up?

Also, it would help if you could bring up Performance Monitor (Control Panels, Admin Tools, Performance) and watch CPU and disk activity during the pauses.

-Scott
MG
Miguel_Garcia
Nov 11, 2003
Have you tried running Windows Update? I ran the updates to go from Win2K SP3 – SP4 and noticed a major improvement in performance.
PT
Pat_Thielen
Nov 11, 2003
Thanks much for your responses — I really appreciate it. I actually run Windows Update rather frequently, but I haven’t recently (I will today). The problem seems to be the file browser; I did have it set for background processing. I turned that off, and Photoshop began performing as usual. Thanks Scott; that was a very simple but effective "cure." I also set it to not use high quality images as I don’t really see the need for that in the file browser. This is good — I’m looking forward to playing with this new version. I only wish Adobe had bothered to include printed manuals for it; I hate reading manuals and documentation online.

Thanks again!

-Pat-

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections