W I N D O W S T I L I N G P R O B L E M !!!!!!

JB
Posted By
Joseph_Baltazisz
Nov 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anybody know why windows are arranged (tiled) horizontally and not vertically just as in PS7 and in earlier versions. It’s so annoying!!!
Thanks for any help or hints.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RB
Robert_Blackwell
Nov 10, 2003
You can right click the task bar and choose tile windows vertically or horizontally, if that’s what you mean…
JB
Joseph_Baltazisz
Nov 10, 2003
Thanks but it’s about windows tiling (opened documents) inside Photoshop CS. It tiles the docs always horizontally. Just imagine, you are trying to compare the layout elements of two "facing pages", before sending them to InDesign.

If they’re tiled from up to down you have a lot of guess work. If they are tiled from left to right you’r on the money.

Just to avoid any legal issues. I have a legal copy of Adobe Creative Suite.
P
pope
Nov 11, 2003
Thanks for posting, Joseph. The stacked tile is ridiculous. Side by side is far more useful with perhaps the exception of panoramas.
RB
Robert_Blackwell
Nov 11, 2003
Oh I see, I guess that’s a PS8 issue then huh?
P
pope
Nov 11, 2003
Robert…yep. PS7 gives really great side-by-side tiles. This stacked deal is definitely a PS8 exclusive feature.
M
marionbabich
Nov 11, 2003
Who’s bright idea was this one? Horizontal tileing sucks.
JB
Joseph_Baltazisz
Nov 11, 2003
Pope,

I think we’d better keep the good old PS7.01 still installed for situations like this.

However, the complete suite -mostly the way they work together – kicks asses. The best purchase I made in my life. If anybody needs a copy of Quark Xpress, just pass by my window, you’ll definitely find it there.
L
LenHewitt
Nov 11, 2003
This has been acknowledged by Scott Byer as an oversight and not an intentional change.

I suspect that the first patch will correct the problem…..
BB
Bob_Bob
Nov 11, 2003
Possible to make all images fit to window when tiling?

wrote in message
This has been acknowledged by Scott Byer as an oversight and not an intentional change.

I suspect that the first patch will correct the problem…..
RD
Rick_DeBari
Feb 28, 2004
I really don’t mean to be rude to the code-makers here but, geese, how could you guys have overlooked this one? I mean you open up two simple vertical photos to compare them side by side (I’ve done this 10,000 times before in PS7 with no prob) and then hit Window/Arrange/Tile. Now with PS-CS you end up with each vertically-composed photo opened in a horizontally shaped window then these two, impossible to view, windows are stacked vertically on top of each other with the tops and bottoms of each photo cut-off? This is one of the most basic viewing functions you can perform in PS! Vertical images need to be displayed in a VERTICAL window. And two photos need to be positioned side by side for visual comparison whether they are vertically or horizontally composed images as others have mentioned. YIKES!!! Please fix this fast!
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 28, 2004
I was acknowleged as an oversight about 2 days after cs was released and will be fixed.
M
Malameel
Feb 28, 2004
I do not know about them missing one, since there have been chnages for no apparent reason that just makes users mad. Like the ile Browser not being locked in the main window. It was free floating before or dockable to the options bar.

Of course we get new features like censors that do not benefit the user at all.

MAD… Just MAD!

No granted there are many cool features added, but why change things and then not give us option to change things back?
P
pope
Feb 28, 2004
Rick…try cascade until the patch arrives.
RD
Rick_DeBari
Feb 28, 2004
While I’m at it, I have another suggestion for the window tiling options. It has always driven me crazy that, when you tile several images in PS, there is no EASY way to have all of the images fit in their respective windows. The new Match Zoom option is a nice start. However, I think that a better idea would be to have a one-click answer. With Match Zoom you first have to zoom one the the photos out to fit then hit Match Zoom. Why not have a Window/Arrange/Tile-to-Fit-Windows option? Then one click makes all of your images tile with 100% visibility of each photo. Also, I’d like to see the mouse right-click menu of each image have the option to Fit in Window(as well as Fit on Screen). This seems very logical to me.
P
Phosphor
Feb 28, 2004
Joseph…

I’m suprised nobody has cracked your stones about how you titled your thread-starting post.

First, all-caps makes it appear that you’re yelling. Not good. It upsets the natives.

Secondly, spacing the characters that way is not conducive to good search indexing. This is a user-to-user forum, and that sort of title makes the info here less accessible to those who might come after you in search of the same answers.

—PhosHost
BP
Brian_Peart
Feb 28, 2004
I must say I agree about the horizontal tiling being awfull, I was most surprised when I first saw it. Also agree that if images would open up to fill their tile size it would be very helpful.

I suppose an option here would be useful – horizontal, or vertical tiling. Horizontal tiles would be great if you’re making landscapes or panoramas, no doubt!

Brian
P
Phosphor
Feb 28, 2004
Who edited my signature from "PhosHost" to "Phos", and why?
L
LenHewitt
Feb 28, 2004
I did, because using that sig is suggesting you are a forum host here and you are not.

Additionally, even if you were, you would be discouraged from saying so in your sig, by common consent of all Hosts on the Adobe User Forums and the Forum Manager.
P
Phosphor
Feb 28, 2004
Gee… sorry, Len. Nobody ever sent me PDF copy of the "Hosting Do’s and Don’ts Handbook." Lately, I have no clue where I stand as a Host. Having been given a key into the castle (actually, just a key to the woodshed out in back of the castle 😉 ),and provided with very little in the way of guidance about protocol, I have to make up the rules as I go along, using the best judgement I can.

My reason for signing as "PhosHost" was not to make you feel usurped. It was to lend some credence to what I was suggesting, so as to not appear as though I was just another user, complaining over a difference of stylistic opinion. Because I’m only tangentially included and considered as a "real" host, how could I have possibly known that signing that way goes against any agreement the "real" hosts have?
RL
Robert_Levine
Feb 29, 2004
FWIW, I didn’t get the PDF either. We’re all just trusted to use good judgement.

Bob
RH
r_harvey
Feb 29, 2004
Feel the warmth.
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 29, 2004
Can light a cigarette from it.
L
LenHewitt
Feb 29, 2004
Phos,

I don’t feel ‘usurped’, but this is not the place for a discussion on hosting topics.

You may email me at mailname: phosphor and domain_name: cdds.co.uk if you wish to discuss
P
Phosphor
Feb 29, 2004
Mornin’ Tony.

Breakfast in the Lounge? I’m pouring Mimosas, Greyhounds and Bloodys.

Bring your own Hurricane glass if you want a professional drink.
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 29, 2004
Breakfast in the Lounge?

Heh. I’m bout ready to crash. Been a looong day. Bloody mary sounds nice though. Really nice.
P
Phosphor
Feb 29, 2004
Yeah, Len, I’d like to bounce my ruminations off you a bit, but, though I can suss out your domain, I can only guess at your email user name. Your recent post is kind of cryptic.

As a Host, you are able to see my real email address on my profile page. Please, shoot me a short note so I know how to contact you. Right about now, I’d really appreciate a smart, logical sounding board.
P
pope
Feb 29, 2004
So…has everybody got how the tiling thingy works now? It’s strictly on a need-to-know basis. The patch is probably almost more or less maybe about to be in the mail.
RH
r_harvey
Feb 29, 2004
So…has everybody got how the tiling thingy works now?

Tiling is one of the last steps in Forum remodeling.
P
pope
Feb 29, 2004
"Tiling is one of the last steps in Forum remodeling."

Kinda like tithing in church.
L
LenHewitt
Feb 29, 2004
Thread Drift Alert……

Back On-Topic guys or it goes R/O……
RH
r_harvey
Feb 29, 2004
Topic?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections