GM
Posted By
Glenn_Mitchell
Nov 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have seen several threads here and elsewhere claiming Photoshop CS loads more slowly, Camera RAW takes longer, etc.

I do not dispute what others say they have experienced, but I expect it relates to peculiarities of their systems, other apps, etc.

I find that Photoshop CS loads faster than Photoshop 7, that my add-ins definitely load faster into PSCS, they return back to PSCS quicker, and working with RAW files via the browser is no slower than the Camera RAW add-in under PS7.

Cheers,

Mitch

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

H
harrillj
Nov 11, 2003
Could be the system, but for me I went from 15 seconds to 3 minutes between v7 and CS. Very frustrating. Eveything else runs in a split. New workstation built about a month ago, 2GB of DDR400 ram, 10K hard drives, P4 3.0 GB processor, 800 MGhz FSB. Since my new workstation, every other application flies; Premeire Pro, Vegas, Studio 8 and the other basic stuff like MS Office XP work in a blink.

If it is the way I have CS set-up, I sure wish someone could tell me. I have played with various set-ups for scratch disks, but that has done nothing. I have uninstalled all the AutoFX plug-ins which were pointed as a cause in other threads, but that did nothing.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I have 5 internal drives with about 1 terabyte of disc space, and another 3 external firewire drives for another 600GB. Perhaps CS is scanning all of my drives, rather than the CS plug-ins and filters folders only. I hope not.
RP
Russell_Proulx
Nov 11, 2003
Glenn,

Could you possibly let us know what system you’re using?

– Operating system (2000, XP, 95<g>,?)
– Motherboard (brand and chipset if possible)
– Amount of RAM and % allotted to PS
– Video card brand and model
– Hard disk type (IDE,SATA,SCSI) and setup (partitions or whole disk for PS to use as scratch disk)

I helps to know what works well when shopping for a new system and who better to learn from but a happy customer!

Thanks 🙂

Russell
P
platinum321
Nov 11, 2003
CS definitely has slow moments compared to 7. I think 7 as far as overall speed is definitely better. CS is not finished as far as I can tell it seems beta like.
V
viol8ion
Nov 11, 2003
We have Photoshop CS on a dual-proc G4 Mac running Jaguar at my girlfriend’s print shop … it is much faster than PS7 was. I recently got to play with it and i am impressed.
IL
Ian_Lyons
Nov 11, 2003
Excepting the issue that seems to effect "some" Win 2K boxes there should be little overall difference in performance between PS7 and CS.

I’ve been running it on Win2K, XP and Mac OSX for some considerable time and haven’t noticed any overall differences.
GM
Glenn_Mitchell
Nov 12, 2003
Russell, here’s the particulars for my system:

Windows XP Professional
2.53 GHz Pentium IV
512 MB of RAM
nVIDIA GForce 4 video card
IDE Ultra ATA hard drive. Single partition.

Before running PSCS
——————-
Primary Memory Free: 211 MB
Threads in Use: 453

Cheers,

Mitch
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 12, 2003
Running fine on XP Pro. Seems faster than 7.

P4 2.8 hyperthreaded, intel d865perl board. 800mhz fsb, 160 gig serial ata, 1 gig pc3200 400mhz ram.
SB
Scott_Byer
Nov 12, 2003
What networking? Any networked printers installed? Did you already fix up the File Browser preferences to not process in the background and not do high qualiy previews (it will still generate them when an image is selected in the FB, it just doesn’t pre-create them)?

We still haven’t gotten enough information to see the pattern. The one machine we did see an issue on here had to do with a networked printer.

-Scott
RP
Russell_Proulx
Nov 13, 2003
Glen,

Thanks for the info. I think XP is the key. With XP-Pro CS does work MUCH better (especially the browser). I’m upgrading my system next week to one that supports hyperthreading and will have a faster CPU so I’ll see what improvement that offers. Right now I’m using W2000 Pro and have only been playing with XP (via a swapable HD) until I had a system that would made use of what enhancements XP offers. It also takes time to figure out how to turn off all the needless ‘fluff’.

Currently I’m using a P4-1.8, Asus P4T-E mobo w/ 1 gig Rambus RAM and a Matrox 550 vidcard. PS scratch disk is a dedicated 18gig Atlas 10K on a 29160 controller. Two other drives (OS/Apps and storage)are IDE.

Russell

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections