Posted By
exingo
Nov 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Working with Classroom in a Book, I am instructed to:

Enter 0,0,0, and 5 in the CMYK text boxes. It goes on to say "These values generally produce the best results when printing the white points (highlights) of a grayscale image onto white paper."

1. What does this mean?

2. How is this technique different from just dragging the sliders in the levels commands window?

3. After defining these values, you use the levels command eyedropper to to define drkest area of image. Why?

Can someone just explain this a little better to me. The book does not go into much detail.

Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PC
Philo_Calhoun
Nov 10, 2003
I think the chapter you are reading deals with setting the black and white eyedroppers to something less than complete black and complete white. Because of the limitations of printers, that is generally recommended (because on the white end you can get stray dots that look bad and lack of differentiation of very light colours, and at the dark end you often get muddiness of colours). Eyedroppers occasionally are better than just dragging sliders, because there may be a very small black or white area that does not show up well on histograms, but you want to use it to define range of your picture.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections