MP
Posted By
McHenry_Peters
Nov 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Will a PS 6.0 Upgrade to a PS 4.0 give me the full features of the 6.0 version and be fully compatable with WinXP? I plan to get a new Canon EOS Rebel 300D and want to edit the images in Photoshop. I am an amateur photographer, not a graphic designer. Would an upgrade to 7.0 be to much for my non-professional, enthusiast needs?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GH
Grass_Hopper
Nov 9, 2003
Are you saying you already have the 6.0 PS or that you are thinking of getting it?

You can upgrade to PSCS with your full version 4.0 via the standard upgrade path, if you so choose. PSCS requires WindowsXP, PS 6 and 7 can run on Win98SE and up.
DM
Don_McCahill
Nov 9, 2003
It is no longer possible to get upgrades to go to version 6 or 7. (Unless you are buying old stock from a dealer). Adobe is now only selling the CS upgrade, which is version 8.
MP
McHenry_Peters
Nov 9, 2003
Thanks for the response! No, I haven’t the PS 6.0 upgrade yet. I do have PS 4.0 and 5.0 LE. I need a higher version to edit converted RAW and jpg images for color management,sharpening,and other management from the Canon dSLR. I think the CS is probably way beyond my needs, and I don’t know what the 7.0 would do for me beyond the 6.0 or a 5.5. I’m still in a learning phase with PS. My concern was that the big jump in upgrade from a 4.0 to a 6.0 or 7.0 wouldn’t be possible. If so, it’s a very good deal for me!

Mac
GH
Grass_Hopper
Nov 10, 2003
My concern was that the big jump in upgrade from a 4.0 to a 6.0 or 7.0 wouldn’t be possible

Yes, it’s possible 🙂 As Don has said, the upgrade to versions 6 and 7 are no longer available from Adobe, as they are now shipping version CS. If you’re going to upgrade, why not get the most recent version?
RO
Robert_Oliver
Nov 10, 2003
I think the CS is probably way beyond my needs, and I don’t know what the 7.0 would do for me beyond the 6.0 or a 5.5

If CS is beyond your needs, then so would 7. Photoshop CS will give you much, much more than versions 5.5 or 6. The updated file browser in CS should be a great feature for a photographer.

There is really no need to fear CS–you don’t have to use all of the features it has, and the learning curve will be no different than with 5.5 or 6 or 7.

Unless money is an issue, go for the gold and get CS. If money is an issue, you might find a cheaper upgrade copy of 6 or 7 on eBay.
E
ewitte
Nov 11, 2003
wrote in message news:…
Thanks for the response! No, I haven’t the PS 6.0 upgrade yet. I do
have PS 4.0 and 5.0 LE. I need a higher version to edit converted RAW and jpg images for color management,sharpening,and other management from the Canon dSLR. I think the CS is probably way beyond my needs, and I don’t know what the 7.0 would do for me beyond the 6.0 or a 5.5. I’m still in a learning phase with PS. My concern was that the big jump in upgrade from a 4.0 to a 6.0 or 7.0 wouldn’t be possible. If so, it’s a very good deal for me!
Mac

Only CS supports the Canon RAW files natively. In version 7 you have to get the $99 upgrade and possibly hack it.

Eric

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections