PS
Posted By
Paul_Saltzman
Nov 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a huge number of Kodak cds that I need to convert to jpgs. I set up a batch to do so and every thing works great but it gets caught up opening every one. Is their some way to get around this? I was hoping to set it up so I could walk away and not have to hit enter 70 times per cd. I’ve tried other programs such as Batch It, but the quality I need is not there. In side by side prints the Photoshop files have a notably better resolution.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 7, 2003
Paul,

I’m not sure exactly what you’re doing that causes you to have to hit Enter – if that’s the front end or the back end of the action, but here’s how you do it error free, unattended.

First create a Save As Jpg action. To do this you use a dummy image and record saving it as a JPG including the options for compression, destination, and filename.

After that’s recorded, toggle the dialog of the action to OFF -that’s the little square next to the action name.

Now you are ready to batch. File|Automate|Batch brings up the batch dialog.

Action Set = the set containing your Save As Jpg action
Action to run = Save As Jpg
Source = Folder
Choose = select the source of your images (if they’re on CD, I’d move them to the HD first, but I’m not convinced you HAVE to)
Destination = Folder
Choose = select the folder where you want the JPG’s to go Override action Save As commands = CHECKED

Optionally choose a naming convention and hit GO – then go get coffee. Each image will open from the source folder and be saved as a JPG in the destination folder and automatically close.

Peace,
Tony
PS
Paul_Saltzman
Nov 7, 2003
Thanks for the response. I need to clarify.
The reason I have to hit the enter button has to do with the PCD format when Potoshop opens a PCD file it gives you options as to the quality that it opens it in. It defaults to the last option that were chosen but you still have to hit enter to confirm the settings. So I end up having to hit enter when it opens every file.

-Paul
G
graffiti
Nov 7, 2003
Override action Save As commands = CHECKED

I think that’s the one causing the trouble for Paul.
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 7, 2003
Graf, no. If you don’t check Override action Save As commands, then you will save the images to the folder specified in the action with the filename specified in the action. Checking that box passes control of File Name and Location to the Batch dialog.

His issue is that since PCD is a special file format, just like opening a PDF or an EPS in photoshop, there is a dialog presented to the effect of "how do you want me to convert this image?"

That one, I don’t know how to get around. Maybe by checking Override Action Open commands, but I doubt it.

What *I* would try, is then to create an additonal action that OPENS the PCD file. You record File Open and all the settings for that, then do File Save As and do all the settings for that. That way your specs are embedded in the action – you do this as one action.

Then toggle the dialog off for both the Open part and the Save part, then check Override Open commands, and Override Save commands. That might work.
PS
Paul_Saltzman
Nov 7, 2003
Thanks for the Idea. I tried it but it just opens the same file rather than moving on to the next. Any other ideas.
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 7, 2003
I tried it but it just opens the same file rather than moving on to the next

Even if you check the box that says Override action "Open" commands?
D
d._wade_thompson
Nov 8, 2003
You can also use the old ghetto method of placing a book, or a sililarly heavy object on the enter key and walk away. I’m not to proud to say i used this method many times before learning about the overide save as.

wade
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 8, 2003
Heh. Yeah Wade, I’ve done it too – only I used scotch tape.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections