PSCS/8 MAJOR extensions and overwriting problem

Posted By
8thNote
Nov 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just got the Standard Creative Suite yesterday and have begun playing with it. I’m disappointed with thumbnail previews no longer working in Windows (see Thomas Madsen "Photoshop CS no longer provides thumbnail icons of .psd in Windows?!!" 11/5/03 2:53pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>). However, I discovered another problem that is even more significant.

Photoshop 7 in Windows XP had an issue with extensions and filenames when saving. Others had the exact same problem. In short, open a PSD, Save As… a JPEG would result in double extensions (File.psd.jpg). Making a Save As… action would save all files with the same filename (File.psd) and just continuously overwrite the file. These were known issues confirmed by dozens of other PS7 users.

Adobe must have attempted to fix the problem because now it’s even worse. Here’s what happens. I open a PSD, Save As… any other file format (JPEG, for example). Rather than saving double-extensions, or even what it’s supposed to do (just save the JPEG with the correct single extension), PSCS saves the JPEG as a .psd! Thus, I have a JPEG with a .psd extension. Double-clicking the file launches PSCS, but because the JPEG was saved with the .psd extension, Photoshop cannot open it.

Using an action to save files replaces the extension like it’s supposed to, but it still stores the filename in the action steps, and thus continuously overwrites the file saved when creating the action.

Thanks, Adobe, for trying to fix the problem, but I think you need to try a little harder.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

8thNote
Nov 7, 2003
BTW, I’m running Windows XP Home and Professional on two different computers that I tested.
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Nov 7, 2003
8thNote,

We haven’t seen this problem in house. Could you please go to the Help | System Info and post what the first line of that displays?

–Steph
8thNote
Nov 7, 2003
I spent 1.5 hours with Adobe Tech Support. This problem is only on my two computers (desktop at home, notebook everywhere else). I’m really thinking Extensis Suitcase has something to do with this because it messed up some other things having to do with extensions before. I found a work-around to the extensions problem (extensions always displayed, even when I said not to), but I think this could somehow be related. The Adobe support rep. said he’d test on one of their computers running XP, CS, and with Extensis Suitcase 9.2 (latest Windows version) on it.

From the System Info: "Adobe Photoshop Version: 8.0 (8.0×118)" (Yes, it’s a legal version—I’m a strong anti-piracy fighter.)
8thNote
Nov 7, 2003
I forgot to mention that with the Adobe support rep., we tested this in other CS apps, and other applications. The problem is only evident in PS. We also tried PS7 (which is still installed on this computer) and it had the same results.

We narrowed the problem to the Save or Save As dialog boxes. With "Filename.psd" displayed, I choose a different format, and it’s supposed to switch to "Filename.jpg" but it remains "Filename.psd." Removing the extension saves the file with the proper extension, but that’s a pain.
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Nov 7, 2003
8thNote,

I wasn’t suggesting you were using an illegal copy. Thanks for the additional info on Extensis.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections