LK
Posted By
Leroy_Kennedy__Jr.
Nov 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone tell me how I can reduce the size of the Filter Gallery Screen. Whenever I use it, the screen is larger than my monitor (17") display and I have to move the screen over some in order to use the controls on the left side. Also, the controls are not fully shown within the screen. Does anyone else have this problem? Help! Thank you.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Nov 7, 2003
Change you monitor’s resolution to display more pixels, perhaps?
CM
Charles_Manske
Nov 7, 2003
No, changing the monitor resolution won’t help.
This is a major problem with other new windows, such as the one for Camera RAW processing.
These windows always come up maximized, but the code is obtaining the wrong screen metrics, i.e., it isn’t getting the "working screen" which is reduced in width by the height of the Windows taskbar.
This makes it very difficult to resize the window since the usual Mac-like resize area in lower right corner is hidden.
This initally-maximized behavior is even more annoying in a dual monitor environment. I set my NVidia driver to not allow spanning of child windows across 2 monitors, which works for image windows and the file browser, but these new camera raw and file windows ignore that setting.
D
dhowe
Nov 7, 2003
What is your monitor resolution set to?
CM
Charles_Manske
Nov 7, 2003
FYI: I’m using WinXP Pro, Monitor 1 is a Samsung LCD (1280 x 1024), monitor 2 is an old Gateway 21" VX1100 also at 1280 x 1024. Thus the "Settings" tab in display properties dialog says the screen is 2560 x 1024. Graphics card is the MSI version of NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900. BTW, PS CS really rocks except for this one problem!
D
dhowe
Nov 8, 2003
Leroy, can you provide the details on your monitor setup?
LK
Leroy_Kennedy__Jr.
Nov 8, 2003
dhowe, I’m using WinXP Home Edition. My monitor is a 17" FD Triniton with screen display set at 800 x 600 pixels, and color settings is 32-bit. I have NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/M64 Pro Graphics Card. My computer system is about 2 1/2 years old. I was told I had an old graphics card. Could that be the problem?
IL
Ian_Lyons
Nov 8, 2003
Leroy,

The minimum screen res setting for CS is 1024 by 768!
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 8, 2003
The minimum screen res setting for CS is 1024 by 768!

And that stinks! 🙂 My eyes are starting to hurt after only 3 days!
P
Phosphor
Nov 8, 2003
Fess up, acknowledge you’re creeping into the geezer zone and get some reading glasses, Dave. I did earlier this Summer and have had a much easier time of things since.

I’d been putting it off for about 3 years; I’m really glad I didn’t wait longer.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 8, 2003
naw, not too bad. But I sit back about 4 feet from my 21" monitor so as I go up in res the screen gets harder to read. My current glasses are perfect for most things. 1024 is just a matter of getting used to I guess.
IL
Ian_Lyons
Nov 8, 2003
But I sit back about 4 feet from my 21" monitor

The optimum viewing distance is at about arms length from the face of your display. Further back doesn’t do your posture or vision any good.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 9, 2003
Further back doesn’t do your posture or vision any good.

I put my feet up on a little coffee table. Quite comfortable. It’s a habit I got in about 10 years ago when I had an old lazy boy recliner laying around and decided to try it as a computer chair. Now THAT was comfort! 🙂
P
pope
Nov 9, 2003
Dave…your chair sounds pretty nice, however my old second hand bed with Magic Fingers from a burned out Motel Six is really geezer heaven 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 9, 2003
<homer>Mmmmm…. maaaaagic fiiiiingers. Arrgghhlllllgh!</homer>
LK
Leroy_Kennedy__Jr.
Nov 9, 2003
I want to thank everyone for their input. I changed the resolution on my monitor to 1024 X 768 and the font size to large. This will have to work for me until I purchase a larger monitor. Again, thank you. Leroy
PG
Penny_Greenway
Nov 25, 2003
I too am having the same problem resizing several of the windows inside the filter menus with CS. It doesn’t help to reset the screen resolution. I have been to every avaiable help source, with no answer in sight. I cannot use these filters at this time, because I can not access the bottom of the window.
Any new help would be welcome.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 25, 2003
I cannot use these filters at this time, because I can not access the bottom of the window.

your screen resolution needs to be at least 1024×768.

It doesn’t help to reset the screen resolution.

I don’t believe that, because it DOES help.
PG
Penny_Greenway
Dec 1, 2003
I talked to Adobe tech support today, about resizing the filter screens inside photoshop. I put in the higher screen resolution 3 times and it didn’t work, until I stopped resetting the dpi to a large font. It seems that CS is configured to work at this higher screen resolution, and a smaller font. Resetting the resolution does help, just don’t resize the font size. Even though the tech said photoshop should reconfigure everything for the large font, it doesn’t. I guess we need to get stronger glasses.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections