Posted By
dylan_ross
Nov 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there.

I work as system admin in a school and we are experiencing problems with some of our users – namely the pupils at the school.

All machines are fully up-to-date Windows 2000 and work fine on all other progs. These users have slightly restricted accounts – in that they cannot write to local drives.

Photoshop (6.0) opens fine, however gives a corrupted "new image" dialogue box when you click on File>New (or ctrl-N).

by corrupted I mean it comes up with file name "U" (instead of Untitled-1) and will not allow you to change to dimensions. Defaults to: width 7 inches, height 5 inches, dimensions 2 pixels/cm.

If you try to change the values of the dimensions you get an error message that reads: "Invalid Numeric Entry. A number between 0.001 and 3000.000 is required. Closet value inserted". It then flicks back to the default value.

If you try to open the new image as it is (without changing anything, or even after unsuccessfully trying to change anything), this message springs up:
"The image would be too large to store in a file. Decrees the dimensions or the resolution".

Opening an old file or image presents no problem.

Even if no-one knows of a nice quick fix, does anyone know whether Photoshop writes a temporary file to the local drive when creating a new image (or registry key??!?) or anything similar that might be causing this??

If anyone has a guide to what Photoshop does when cr4eating a new image then that may be very handy – then I can o through the process, eliminating as I go…

Thank you in advance for any help received.
(this topic also started on the DevShed forums pages)

Dylan
x

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 6, 2003
Well, I’m not sure but the first thing that struck me was the issue of not allowing the studens to be able to write to disk.

Even if no-one knows of a nice quick fix, does anyone know whether Photoshop writes a temporary file to the local drive when creating a new image

Yes, it does, although I’m not sure that there would be a difference for new v. old images. But the point is, under Edit|Preferences|Plug ins & Scratch Disks, that’s where you set the location of the temporary file.

I don’t know if the scratch file issue is causing the problem you’re reporting, but my very first thought was "Not allowed to write to disk = forumula for problems with photoshop".
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 6, 2003
<nodding head agreeing w/tony (again!)>
V
viol8ion
Nov 7, 2003
Not only that, but PS writes to the preferences file also.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections