Posted By
Maquar
Nov 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there,

I have been using photoshop for quite some time now but have ran into a problem that has me stumped. The problem is, when I try to save an image with transparency in the image, it does not save the tranparency at all. It has worked for many many images in the past but all of a sudden it will not work.

Normally, I will create a new image (transparent background).

Add my filters, etc…

Then I click on Save for web.

I save it as a PNG-24 as I have found that the images I like to create do not come out as well in another format.

At this point, I would insert the image onto a webpage and it would come out fine but not now. Now it just turns the image into a "distorted blob". It was working fine the other day. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. I’m using PS 7.0 on Windows XP Pro.

Thanks in advance…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 6, 2003
Okay. You say it worked before and is not working now. I can’t help with that but think about this.

Internet Explorer cannot see the transparencies in PNG-24’s without a special tweak (something you have to load – it escapes me at the moment).

So that means that even if YOU were able to appropriately represent the transparency, most of your web visitors would not.

The ONLY option for transparency on the web today, is GIF.

If GIF doesn’t work for you because of the image content, then what I usually recommend is to make your image’s background match that of the destination web page and save for web as a JPG.

Today, PNG is useless on the web, except that it doesn’t use Lossy compression, and there’s a price for that (file size).

Peace,
Tony
HP
Helen_Polson
Nov 6, 2003
Internet Explorer cannot see the transparencies in PNG-24’s without a special tweak (something you have to load – it escapes me at the moment).

You have to embed them I think rather then using img tags. I had a link about it somewhere, I’ll see if I can find it 🙂
M
Maquar
Nov 7, 2003
I use Internet Explorer and have had absolutely no problems with PNG-24’s at all untill now. In my images I use alot of "fades" like the Gradient Glow filter in Eyecandy 4000. If I try to save them as a gif the image is one solid color(no fading)and the background is solid (no transparency). So in the past to get around that I would save them as PNG-24 and had no problems. But now saving them as PNG-24 gives me the same results as if I were saving them as a jpeg. Hopefully, you guys will know what to do..

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections