O
Posted By
_o_
Nov 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop CS hangs for like 1-2 minutes when I attempt to run it. Curiously enough, when the network is disabled it starts right up.

There is a strange file that starts up in conjunction with PShop and appears in the task manager until Pshop is shutdown: ~e5d141.tmp

I’ve heard this is related to Macrovision’s SafeCast or C-Dilla software that is installed with TurboTax, but I haven’t got that installed or any other Macrovision product for that matter.

Also, it didn’t appear until I installed Photoshop so it must be involved with that.

Does anyone know of anything Photoshop uses when it starts to do this? Also, is there a way to trace this process?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

O
_o_
Nov 6, 2003
After running Process Explorer, it is confirmed that Photoshop is the parent process.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 6, 2003
see this thread.

Roy Varley "Photoshop 7 – recent ultra slow startup" 11/1/03 10:44pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/2>

i’ve been told by adobe that is shouldn’t have to call home after initial activation so you should have no trouble removing that or blocking it from connecting to the internet. i think.
O
_o_
Nov 6, 2003
Not sure what that post is supposed to help out with, seeing as the other user’s problem just mysteriously stopped. I’ve already confirmed it’s not "spyware" and that it’s Photoshop causing this file to be created.
SB
Scott_Byer
Nov 6, 2003
Hmm. Activation shouldn’t be touching the network at all on startup if you’ve already activated. Do you have a networked printer selected by default? Did you turn on the Version Cue option?

-Scott
O
_o_
Nov 11, 2003
a-HA! This is the first possibly productive suggestion I’ve gotten after 5 posts on 4 message boards.

My default printer is the Powerbook in the other room that I access via http (because my computer is Win2kPro and we don’t have a router). If it is sleeping or offline, and I start up Photoshop (or Macromedia Director I recently discovered), then the program hangs due to it not being able to find the printer on the network.

I changed my default printer and it fixed the whole issue instantly!

Whew.

Scott, you rock.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections