DT
Posted By
Doug_Tomlinson
Nov 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am noticing that CS is running considerably slower than v7.0 & I am also experiencing similar issues to others with the cursor not responding correctly…only in my case, I have noticed that it DOES in fact hinder performance. Everything just seems to creep along as though I’m working on an old pentium I. I am running CS on a Dell Precision Workstation with 2.8Ghz Xeon & 1GB Ram. What gives?!?! Raw conversion is SLOW compared to using the RAW plug-in that I just paid $99 for. (Shame on me, I guess)

Has anyone else who experienced severe slow downs after installing CS found anything to help/fix the performance issues?

Thanks for any input!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

SB
Scott_Byer
Nov 4, 2003
Set up Performance Monitor to watch what’s going on: disk, free memory, CPU. What is your memory % set to? Also, as you watch Performance Monitor, make sure that free RAM doesn’t fall below about 15MB. If it does, XP will start paging things wildly and things will slow to a crawl. Time to decrease Photoshop’s memory usage % in that case.

In general, Photoshop CS is faster. But it’s also bigger, and so cannot tolerate as large a memory usage % as Photoshop 7 (the price of progress, I suppose).

-Scott
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 4, 2003
If you’re running Win2K, see the existing thread on performance problems in Win2K.
DW
Darrell_Wilks
Nov 4, 2003
Please point me to this thread you refer to. Search forums turns up nothing for "CS slow Windows 2000". Thanks. Darrell
MH
Mark_Hiers
Nov 4, 2003
you’ve already been there Darrell…

Brett Simms "Opterons and Photoshop CS" 11/4/03 12:54pm </cgi-bin/webx?13>
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 4, 2003
Where is the w2k performance thread? I looked at the Brett Ssimms thread, and Chris still refers to the w2k thread. Searching for it comes up with performance problems with PS 6 but not CS.
?
P
pope
Nov 5, 2003
Lawrence, I searched in vain for the same mythical w2k/CS thread. Chris sees something we don’t.

My copy of CS is due in this week and my w2k box is acting awfully nervous 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 5, 2003
pope,

My copy of CS is due in this week and my w2k box is acting awfully nervous

You need to get hold of an old 80286 processor. A sharp knife. Some black candles and the proper incantation (use google). Turn down the lights, light the candles and sacrifice the 286 to the microprocessor gods while reciting said incantation and dancing backwards around your win2k box just before installing CS. No worries. 🙂
P
pope
Nov 5, 2003
Dave…I’ll try that…my chicken sacrifice routine doesn’t work anymore (I live wayyyy down south) 🙂
D
DavidMadison
Nov 5, 2003
My CS installation is also running noticeably slower than 7.01. Windows 2000 SP4, 1.5 gb ram, Athlon 1200 mhz.

David Madison
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 5, 2003
Hmmmm, CS is starting to take on other meaning. Chicken Sacrifice. Chicken ****
TM
Thomas_Madsen
Nov 5, 2003
wrote:

My CS installation is also running noticeably slower than 7.01. Windows 2000 SP4, 1.5 gb ram, Athlon 1200 mhz.

Strange. It’s running noticeably faster here and particularly InDesign CS and Illustrator CS. Photoshop CS seems to be almost identical to Photoshop 7 (regarding speed).

WinXP Pro SP1, 2 x 866 Mhz P3, 2 GB RAM.

Regards
Madsen.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections