C
Posted By
CindySingleton
Nov 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I thought I’d seen this topic before, but can’t seem to find it now, but did read some similar topics. I deleted the prefs (it called it settings?) folder as described in the FAQ, have re-booted, scan disked, and defragmented. I’m using Windows XP, Pentium 4, 2.53 Ghz, 768 MB of RAM. It’s done this occasionally before, like when I went to "save as", but it’s doing it a LOT now, even when just clicking anywhere! When it shuts down, I’m taken back to the desktop. The computer seems to work fine otherwise, which makes me suspect PS but I am at a loss.

~Cindy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Nov 4, 2003
do you have all the latest drivers for your system? check video drivers especially.
DD
Dave_Dillon
Nov 11, 2003
Similar to some issues I’ve seen posted but specifically while in Photoshop 7.0.1 and just recently, when I go to FILE>OPEN my PS disappears and goes to the desktop. I can open PS again and usually the next File>OPEN works. However, later and randomly, whenever Windows Explorer (while PS is open) is doing its thing to create a new folder or find a folder where I want to SAVE a file I can sometimes get an Explorer error message saying a file can’t be read! The same file will eventually be "read" if I keep redoing the steps and closing all the error messages.
Any one have a solution?
Thanks.
Dave
HP
Henry_Pfizenmayer
Nov 24, 2003
Cindy … Yopu did not say if you were using a scanner … but I just went thru the shut down at save after importing a scan with an Epson2450 scanner.. found the solution was to turn on the scanner AFTER PS7 had fully loaded and so far works everytime … Rgds…
GT
Gerry_Thomas
May 21, 2004
I had a problem like this about two years ago and after a full day of emailing back and forth to Adobe, I ended up having to make some changes in the registry and that solved all of my problems. What was happening was that as I would click on a file to open it, 7.0 would totally shut down and be back to the desktop. The fault belongs to Adobe and their insistence on having their little Adobe icon appear in front of all jpeg files on your hard drive – that little action totally screws up Windows and shuts 7.0 down in a flash.

I can dig out my notes on the fix, it you would like. Let me know.

Gerry

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections