BK
Posted By
Brian_Kitching
Nov 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi I am new to Digital photography, also Photoshop 7.
First can I download from digital camara into Photoshop and how do I do this? Next the jpeg’s I have put into PC are large files, should I reduce them in size before printing, if so would I lose some of the quality?
Regards

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin_Walls
Nov 3, 2003
Brian:

Dowloading directly into PS doesn’t really make much sense. You need to store the files on disk from your camera [which must have come with some software]. Then create a copy to work on with PS. You may want to look at Photoshop Album – this is a low-cost package that I find very useful for his job.

Large files? How large? What do you mean by large? Pixels [unlikely] or inches [probably]. Assuming the latter, go to Image Size, ensure resampling is unchecked and adjust the image size to what you want. The resolution will change. Assuming it’s greater than around 200PPI you should be fine.

Do come back if you need more help.
BK
Brian_Kitching
Nov 3, 2003
Hi Colin
I do use Photoshop Album, came with my Camera. The images when moved into PA are size 2048 X 1536 I was going to reduce to about 750 X 563 jpeg. Is this OK?
Regards
Z
zippy2000
Nov 3, 2003
First can I download from digital camara into Photoshop and how do I do this?

You can if your camera has a twain driver. This will depend on the type of camera (and software that comes with it) you have and if you are using the camera properly. The best way to know for certian about the twain driver is open photoshop and FILE>IMPORT. Check what things you are able to import – if you have a twain driver for your camera, there should be an option for your camera (probably the name and model) in FILE>IMPORT. As for using the camera properly, read the manual thoroughly.

ZIP
JH
Jake_Hannam
Nov 3, 2003
Brian,

The first thing you should do with the original JPG file is to save it (before doing anything else to it) as a TIF or PSD file.

Everytime you save a file as a JPG, you lose some detail because JPG is a ‘lossy’ compression scheme. TIF and PSD are ‘lossless’.

Jake
CW
Colin_Walls
Nov 3, 2003
Brian:

No. No. No. Don’t throw away pixels! You seem to have a 3mpx camera, which is good for decent size prints. There is no point in throwing data away.

If you import using PSA, then there are 2 ways forward:

1) If all you want is a print, then use PSA to do it, as it will give you all the options you could want w.r.t. size etc. You can use its internal adjustment tools to make small changes without going near Photoshop.

2) If you wish to mess around with the image in PS, export a copy of the image from PSA as a PSD file and work on that. You can read/edit/save to your heart’s content without worries.
BK
Brian_Kitching
Nov 3, 2003
Hi Many thanks to you all. It is simple when put like that. I will now go and spend some time reading my PS manual.
Regards Brian

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections