M
Posted By
mickeydelorenzo
Nov 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently installed Photoshop CS and everything loaded correctly, but when I go to use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl" it doesn’t work. For example "Ctrl+N" won’t open a new document and "Ctrl++" won’t zoom in…

I checked the preferences and they are in there correctly.

Any idea’s?

I still have Photoshop 7 on my cpu, and they work fine in there, so it’s not my keboard…

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Nov 3, 2003
remove the crack.
CM
Christian_M._Holes
Nov 3, 2003
LMAO… NUMBNUTZ….
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 3, 2003
deleted by self.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 3, 2003
hmm…
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 3, 2003
No, I thought Christian was calling you numbnutz and I started to tear into him. Then I read the sequence more closely and discovered that I may be closer to a numbnutz than the OP!
CM
Christian_M._Holes
Nov 3, 2003
Yea I was laughing at the guy (mickeyDelorenzo) asking why his cracked version wasn’t working.

Now the funny thing is he really came across a problem and thought to himself…. … Hmmmm, the version that people actually went out and bought must not be working right. I’d better go to the adobe forum and find out what is wrong. LOL….

thus, NUMBNUTZ….
CM
Christian_M._Holes
Nov 3, 2003
Oh Dave, old buddy ole pal… have you seen my diagonal boarder pattern post. <<say that 5 times fast. I need help and wondered what you thought? Sorry but didn’t know if you were reading that post?
M
mickeydelorenzo
Nov 3, 2003
Remove crack? Why isn’t Ctrl working?
L
LenHewitt
Nov 3, 2003
Mickey,

Remove crack? Why isn’t Ctrl working?<<

If you have run a ‘crack program’ to remove the need for activation, it disables the CTRL key shortcuts.

Removing the crack re-enables the CTRL key shortcuts (but restores the need to activate too)
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 3, 2003
Unless I have missed a posting somewhere that covers this, has anyone specifically stated that they have downloaded and installed the crack for PSCS and, in turn, verified that it does indeed cause the CTRL key problem? Although I have located the name of the cracked version of PSCS and, separately, the crack itself, I have not been successful in downloading either of them. I had planned to install them myself to see if I could duplicate the problem (that’s in my nature…I’m a test engineer). If not, then perhaps just as someone else found a keyboard driver problem being the cause, the use of a crack might only be a source of the problem for some, yet not all users.

I guess I’d just like to see folks be a bit more diplomatic in their replies than to suggest right from the start, that a PSCS user with the CTRL key problem is running a cracked version. That is, rather than saying "Mike, remove the crack", instead say something to the effect of the following:

"This problem has thus far been attributed to the use of either a crack for the PSCS activation, or to a keyboard driver issue. If you’re using a crack, remove it. If you’re using a keyboard driver, try reinstalling or updating it. If neither of these solutions work, please let us know so that we can continue to try and isolate other possible causes."

Thanks,

Daryl
CM
Christian_M._Holes
Nov 3, 2003
Daryl, let me put it this way. Paradox, which is a cracking group, cracked the first version of PSCS (or PS8) take your pick. When they did make the crack somewhere in the coding they screwed up on the shortcut keys working. So if you have one of the first versions of the Paradox cracked PSCS or adobe golive (although, I have heard no problems from golive) then your gonna have a screwed up control shortcut keys problem. Until you replace the "cracked" files with the original or a newly updated cracked version.

This problem doesn’t exist with Users who are running a "purchased version" from adobe or any other reputable source.

That is how we all know about the cracked version. Now, away you heathens, I have work to do on my archaically obsolete PS7.

"Daryl Pritchard" >>>>>> Unless I have missed a posting somewhere that covers this, has anyone specifically stated that they have downloaded and installed the crack for PSCS and, in turn, verified that it does indeed cause the CTRL key problem? Although I have located the name of the cracked version of PSCS and, separately, the crack itself, I have not been successful in downloading either of them. I had planned to install them myself to see if I could duplicate the problem (that’s in my nature…I’m a test engineer). If not, then perhaps just as someone else found a keyboard driver problem being the cause, the use of a crack might only be a source of the problem for some, yet not all users.
I guess I’d just like to see folks be a bit more diplomatic in their
replies than to suggest right from the start, that a PSCS user with the CTRL key problem is running a cracked version. That is, rather than saying "Mike, remove the crack", instead say something to the effect of the following:
"This problem has thus far been attributed to the use of either a crack
for the PSCS activation, or to a keyboard driver issue. If you’re using a crack, remove it. If you’re using a keyboard driver, try reinstalling or updating it. If neither of these solutions work, please let us know so that we can continue to try and isolate other possible causes."
Thanks,

Daryl
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 3, 2003
Christian,

Daryl’s point is that there are other conditions which would cause the control key to cease to function – like a keyboard re-mapping utility. Thus to automatically presume that someone has engaged in illegal activity probably isn’t the best "first line" response.
JH
Jake_Hannam
Nov 3, 2003
I am with Tony and Daryl on this one. I think people are jumping to conclusions on the ‘cracking’ issue without any real knowledge.

PSCS IS new and it is very possible that it contains bugs that may affect certain users with certain system configurations while others may not have any problems whatsoever.

A little forebearance please before jumping to conclusions …

Jake
CM
Christian_M._Holes
Nov 3, 2003
Come on, get real… I understand what your saying, there may be bugs and what not. BUT WITH THE SHORTCUT KEYS??? Please, stop fooling yourself. THE CRACKED VERSION IS WIDELY KNOWN to have this problem. I mean if it where something else, anything else than one of the primary functions of any program let alone PS, it would not have been made to a negative conclusion. Furthermore, if the version he had was real and paid for, why wouldn’t he contact adobe and ask them. He can’t, why? Because it is a cracked version. Point blank and period.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 3, 2003
A little forebearance please before jumping to conclusions …

properly contrite.
KZ
Ken_Zo
Nov 3, 2003
Folks, there is only one way to find out (instead of endless discussions), just ask the guy:

Mickey, do you use a legal version or a cracked version of Photoshop CS? (No offence if you are just trying the cracked version, plz give us a honest answer, thanx!)
L
LenHewitt
Nov 3, 2003
Daryl,

has anyone specifically stated that they have downloaded and installed the
crack for PSCS and, in turn, verified that it does indeed cause the CTRL key problem?<<

Yes, they have, and confirmed that removing the crack restored CTRL key functionality.
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 3, 2003
Christian,

I don’t spend any time in other Photoshop-related forums, but from what I’ve seen in his forum, the problem wasn’t so much "widely known" as "widely stated" to be related to the cracked version of PS. That is, I hadn’t seen anyone say that they had verified the problem to be in the cracked version and that was why I set out to check things out for myself. From your comment of this being "widely known", I’ll just take that for presumably a statement of fact and just drop the issue. Apart from that I just wish people wouldn’t be so quick to judge, implied or not, but I realize human nature can find us all guilty of that from time to time.

Len,

Thanks for clarifying the facts.

Cheers,

Daryl
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Nov 3, 2003
Daryl,

No one with the problem has yet claimed to have a legal copy either.
RH
r_harvey
Nov 3, 2003
No one with the problem has yet claimed to have a legal copy either.

Right, they pretty much clam-up when you mention it.

Still, trying a crack does not mean that you have stolen anything.
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 3, 2003
I think you’re right on that Mathias, with exception of one user who found a keyboard driver problem.

True enough, r_harvey, one could apply a crack to legally purchased software if they so chose. Then the issue is merely one of risking problems due possibly to breaching the integrity of the code, as well as possibly violating some clause in the EULA, although that’s already been discussed and I’ve yet to see the EULA myself.

I wish Amazon would hurry up and ship my PSCS to me! 🙂 I’m sure Adobe works to fulfill direct orders first though, before shipping PS out to retail distributors.

Regards,

Daryl
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 3, 2003
Still, trying a crack does not mean that you have stolen anything.

No, but you have violated the licensing agreement. I just got my copy of CS and they actually reworded the license and pasted it onto the package. They added the following:

The product contains activation technology designed to prevent unauthorized copying. Activation through the internet or by telephone is required.

Bob
RH
r_harvey
Nov 3, 2003
That’s a caution label–probably because of lawyers (like "Caution: coffee is hot"). If you purchased the product in a store, there would have to be some warning like that (even MS stuff has it).
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 3, 2003
Bob,

Just again being the devil’s advocate on what has been discussed to death, even that wording in the license still leaves much room for argument as to what it means. The first statement is merely informational about the content of the application. The second statement lacks content to specify what is meant exactly…as in required for what? Two examples:

Activation…is required [to enable operation of the application beyond the 30-day grace period]

Activation…is required [for use of this software, period.]

In case of the 1st example, this is just informing the user that the program will not function beyond 30 days unless activated. If someone were to crack the activation, I don’t see it as breaking any laws as long as they continue to abide by the EULA in terms of not installing the application on more than 2 machines that are never concurrently used, and in terms of not distributing copies of the application. Again though, I’ve not seen the EULA, so I may be overlooking something.

The 2nd example would be a more restrictive statement, which I would interepret to mean that to abide by the EULA, a user must activate the application. I remain of the opinion that if the user violated such a statement by cracking the activation, then they still haven’t broken any law per se, so long as they honor the intent of the EULA as it has always been provides sans activation. The biggest exception that comes to mind is a question of using the application in a professional, business-oriented environment.

This only scratches the surface of any arguments for or against activation. I too am generally against the idea but accept it for what it is intended for. If I had a crack that didn’t corrupt the application, would I use it? Not likely, because I’m not changing the configuration of my system frequently or extensively enough to warrant it. On the other hand, as a non-professional user, I have no real qualms about applying such a crack since it removes me from having to rely upon contacting a company for "authorization" to continue using the application. I can’t imagine doing extensive changes to a system so often that they’d be broad enough to affect activation, but I’d consider using an activation crack if that were the case.

Daryl
RH
r_harvey
Nov 3, 2003
What Daryl said.
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 3, 2003
I think you’ll have to talk to the lawyers, but the fact that it’s in the license agreement tells me that it’s required to use the software.

Would a court agree? Who knows?

Bob
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 3, 2003
Isn’t legalese fun? I’m glad I’m not a lawyer! Off to work…y’all enjoy your evening.

Daryl
E
estonianbear
Nov 7, 2003
D00DS!

The Ctrl key failure was caused by Paradox crack.

HERE IS THE CURE!
< http://suprnova.gunny.org/torrents/502/Adobe.PhotoShop.CS.v8 .0.CRACKFiX-PARADOX-rar.torrent>
and you need Bitorrent to get the real file out of that *.torrent file. <http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/download.html>

This works 🙂

To Developers: I am sorry that I can’t afford to buy a legal copy 🙁

[ Estonian Bear ]

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections