How to setup a 1GB RamDrive scratch disk in win XP ?

M
Posted By
Maryo
Nov 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just received and installed CS, I’m happy about the upgrade but I’m interested to fully use my 4GB ram memory using WinXP-Pro.

I’ve added the /3GB boot swith option.

Now I think it’s useful to use the remaining 1GB Ram memory as scratch disk.

How to setup it on WinXP pro ?

Thanks for any advice

Mario

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RH
r_harvey
Nov 2, 2003
Now I think it’s useful to use the remaining 1GB Ram memory as scratch disk.

Or let Windows manage it. If it doesn’t need it for programs, it’ll do a very nice job of allocating it as a big cache, probably some of both, which is a more efficient way to use it than allocating a (probably too small) scratch disk, and starving Windows.
M
Maryo
Nov 2, 2003
Thanks for your reply,

Yes, 1Gb ram can be small, in this case I can remove the /3GB WinXP startup option and allocate 2Gb as RamDisk, in this way it’s a little bit larger…

Anyway, I’m looking for reducing disk-swapping-time-wasting when working with large images.

Mario
RH
r_harvey
Nov 2, 2003
Photoshop will only recognize 2GB, anyway.

Anyway, I’m looking for reducing disk-swapping-time-wasting when working with large images.

A big chunk of cache will certainly help.
M
Maryo
Nov 2, 2003
Even CS will not handle more than 2GB Ram (apparently…).

I’ve found an installed this freeware ramdisk utility:
<http://www.arsoft-online.de/products/product.php?id=1>

It work, but use the op.sys ram to run… It subtract useful system memory! No way found to allocate it in the above 2Gb memory area.

r_harvey, can you please explain what you mean for "allocating as big cache" ? I want try your suggestion.

ThankYou,

Mario
RH
r_harvey
Nov 3, 2003
can you please explain what you mean for "allocating as big cache" ? I want try your suggestion.

Windows will do it for you automatically with any unneeded memory. Run System Monitor (free from MS), and you’ll see Windows using all of the memory you have. That’s why, with a lot of RAM, if you quit then restart Photoshop, the second start will be faster than the first.
M
Maryo
Nov 3, 2003
Thanks for the information, I will perform some more test using the suggested System Monitor.

Mario
SB
Scott_Byer
Nov 3, 2003
And if working with real large images, 2GB of RAM disk scratch would only elp a small portion of the dataset you’ll work with. Letting XP manage it as cache space will be a more effective and dynamic use of the memory.

-Scott

wrote in message
Thanks for the information, I will perform some more test using the
suggested System Monitor.
Mario

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections