C
Posted By
Coliver
Nov 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do you make a pattern? I drew one of my own, but the problem is, I don’t know how to make a pattern so other images can use it

Please Help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CM
Christian_M._Holes
Nov 1, 2003
Ok I am making a patter for my background, and I want it to be a diagonal shape. The hilarious thing is, I did not realize how much of a problem it was going to be.

ok first of all making backgrounds is easy… I first make a 30×30 pixel pallet and add a small dot or shape right in the middle to give it a pattern… make the background a different color. Then go to edit and then define pattern, name it whatever. The way I test my patterns is then open up new document and make it 500×500… then go to fill and then fill with the patter I just made. My new document then fills like a charm and is an exact indicator on how my webpage will look with a single jpeg or gif file that is only 30×30 pixels big. Because the pattern repeats itself. And there in lies my problem….

I saw a cool design that was a diagonal pattern. However, when I made a patter in PS it was all straight lines by simply adding 1 pixel brush tool with shift to constrain straight. I did that and as long as the lines are horizontal or vertical, it works perfect. Again however, I then rotated the lines and made them diagonal and the pattern gets all messed up when making it into a pattern and then filling it into a bigger document. It simply looks like a bunch of repeated square diagonal designs. HUMPPFFFF… I know this logical makes sense, but is there something I should do or some type of work around?

I am working with patterns and though this might help you a bit. Until you get to my problem anyways….

good luck.

thanks in advance.

Christian
wrote in message
How do you make a pattern? I drew one of my own, but the problem is, I
don’t know how to make a pattern so other images can use it
Please Help.
L
LenHewitt
Nov 1, 2003
Christian,

Let me get this right.

You want to make a pattern file that will create a series of diagonal 45deg. lines across a web page?
L
LenHewitt
Nov 1, 2003
Coliver,

Select All then Edit>Define Pattern.

That will add it to your patterns presets
CM
Christian_M._Holes
Nov 1, 2003
yes a pattern at a 45 degree angle across the webpage.
DM
Don_McCahill
Nov 1, 2003
Christian

I think your problem is with the repeat not matching up. You can check whether or not your repeat will work by using the offset filter with a value of about half the width of the work. If a repeat gives a bad fit, undo the filter, then use the image/canvas size to remove 1 pixel of width. Test with offset again, and repeat until the pattern matches.

You will have to do the same with the height.
CM
Christian_M._Holes
Nov 1, 2003
I am sorry I didn’t understand your directions really. With this, I didn’t not use a filter so if you may, explain that from start to finish. I can even send you the file if you’d like…. it is very small like 3k or something.

Thanks again?

Darn thing, it does vertical and horizontal perfectly but I can’t figure how to make diagonal repreat properly.
C
Coliver
Nov 1, 2003
It’s still not working.

I finished drawing my pattern. Then I Select>All.

Then I Click Edit>Define Pattern. But the Pattern is Grayed out and I can’t click it. What Do I do? Please Help!!
CM
Christian_M._Holes
Nov 1, 2003
Well the only thing I can think of is the colors you are using? how are you making the patter with RGB CYMK colors? explain to me this and as well, explain the process you are taking from start to finish. That way I might know how to help you.

Good Luck…
L
LenHewitt
Nov 2, 2003
Make sure you are in 8-bit/channel mode

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections