RD
Posted By
Romelle_Domingo
Oct 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hello, just a question about converting RGB document to CMYK. When should this step be taken? Is it after you’re finished or before you start document. What are the differences between the two?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Z
zippy2000
Oct 30, 2003
Hey Romelle,

I think this would depend on how well your monitor is calibrated. That being said, I never do projects for print in RGB. I always keep everything (right from Create New Document) in CMYK. The reason: because if I do any designs in PS in RGB mode, I am not getting true-to-print representation.(ie. if I am doing a heavily layered design in RGB mode I get really amazing color/opacity interaction between the layers but when I convert the design to CMYK, much of that is lost – the reason for this is RGB mode displays more colors that CMYK.). Another reason is simply if you want accurate color represention for print, CMYK is best because that is what the final output will be.

Now if you are talking specifically about scanned photos, then it really won’t make much of a difference. I would still keep everything in CMYK just so it doesn’t get missed at the time of printing.

Rule of thumb: CMYK is for print. RGB is for screen images.

Also, make sure your monitor is calibrated properly. You will find color correction less painful.

ZIP
🙂
L
LenHewitt
Oct 30, 2003
As many filters etc. do not work in CMYK, it is more common to convert to CMYK pretty much as the last step.

With modern RGB, colour managed workflows there isn’t any need to convert to CMYK at all.
Z
zippy2000
Oct 30, 2003
As many filters etc. do not work in CMYK,

Which is why I don’t bother with RGB when designing. (ie use omni lighting effects…looks great in RGB, but convert it to CMYK and it looks like a simple gradiant fill).
DL
dennis_lohmann
Oct 30, 2003
zippy,

what is the difference between working in RGB with the proof option on and working in CMYK? The monitor has to simulate the print colors in both cases.

Regards
Dennis.
Z
zippy2000
Oct 30, 2003
what is the difference between working in RGB with the proof option on and working in CMYK? The monitor has to simulate the print colors in both cases.

You know, I never thought about that…interesting point. I don’t have good answer for that because I have been programmed (by school) to design everything in CMYK when it comes to print. Just goes to show how school corrupts the mind 🙂
PF
Peter_Figen
Oct 30, 2003
If you absolutely know what your output is going to be, and I mean a specific CMYK press or proofer, and this is always going to be the same, then you can safely start out in CMYK. If, on the other hand, you may need to make outputs to several types of devices from inkjets to offset presses to billboards and backlit transparencies, then you may be better off working in RGB and then converting to CMYK (or RGB) with profiles for each output device. If you are making subtle gradients and drop shadows, they are almost always better made in CMYK, as they tend to get hammered in the conversion even if you have the dither option checked.
Z
zippy2000
Oct 30, 2003
Peter,

Excellent response. I couldn’t have said it better myself.

🙂 ZIP

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections