RH
Posted By
Rob_Harris
Oct 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just purchased photoshop CS, the program runs fine, but I cannot use any keyboard shortcuts. I have tried re-installing and such but to no avail. My PS7 still works, any suggestions.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MH
Mark_Hiers
Oct 30, 2003
see the other thread and respond to Stephanie’s questions. Thanks.

Stephanie Schaefer "Shortcut problem in Photoshop CS" 10/30/03 11:36am </cgi-bin/webx?13/11>
RH
Rob_Harris
Oct 31, 2003
I took the link off to my old plugins directory that pointed to ps7, then un-installed 7 re-installed cs and re-installed drivers for my IBM keyboard. It works fine now thanks. In that post some were talking of a pirate version, why would they post here if they do not have a legal version? To imply that any customer, especially one who has used your products for many many years is an affront to that person. That person may consider other alternatives for software if the company wrongly accuses them leaving the company with no customers. Just a thought.
I
ID._Awe
Oct 31, 2003
Rob: You’d be surprised how many people come here with problems concerning their pirated software.
RB
Robert_Barnett
Oct 31, 2003
You would be surprised at the ball size of some pirates. I wouldn’t put it past them. However, I do think it is unfair to jump immediately to that conclusion. Most people are honest.

Robert
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Oct 31, 2003
Rob Harris,

I’m curious…before going to the extent of uninstalling PS7 and reinstalling PS CS, did you check to see if the shortcut problem was corrected by simply removing your secondary plug-ins path that pointed to PS7? If not, then perhaps that is all that would have been required: If the path you specified was to the Plug-ins directory of PS7, then PS CS might’ve encountered PS7 native plug-ins that caused conflict with any that were revised uniquely for PS CS and the CTRL key problem may have surfaced from that.

A secondary plug-ins path is most safely used by ensuring that path is only to 3rd-party plug-ins, so that native Photoshop plug-ins are not seen twice.

Perhaps someone with a working CTRL key and a dual installation of PS7 and PS CS would be brave enough to explore this problem, by specifying their secondary plug-ins path as the PS7/Plug-ins directory, restarting PS CS, and seeing if there is any impact to their CTRL key.

Regards,

Daryl
RH
r_harvey
Oct 31, 2003
However, this is certainly going to be interesting in that we will now know who is using illegal software here and can easily report them to

Someone who uses a crack isn’t necessarily a thief. They may, however, not accept the activation part of the license, which may or may not be legal. Invalidating one part of a license does not render the whole license invalid.

It is unwarranted to call someone a thief, just because they do not want to submit to product activation.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 31, 2003
Perhaps someone with a working CTRL key and a dual installation of PS7 and PS CS would be brave enough to explore this problem,

Can you do that legally? Doesn’t the installation of the upgraded app nullify the installation of its predecessor? With all this talk of activation and EULA, I get confused.

Harv,

Good point. I cannot find the PS CS EULA, but the Creative Suite License says:

"THE SOFTWARE MAY INCLUDE PRODUCT ACTIVATION AND OTHER TECHNOLOGY DESIGNED TO PREVENT UNAUTHORIZED COPYING. THE ACTIVATION TECHNOLOGY MAY PREVENT YOUR USE OF THE SOFTWARE IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THE ACTIVATION PROCESS DESCRIBED IN THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION."

I don’t know that one can interpret that to mean that if you don’t activate you are in violation of the EULA. It simply says it may not work if you don’t.
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Oct 31, 2003
Tony,

I’ve not read all the discussions on activation and the EULA, but I expect it to be highly unlikely that installation of PS CS would nullify the operation of PS7. Unless Adobe had to do something to make activation work that somehow corrupts operation of PS7 in the process, I just don’t think they would depart from the past philosophy of allowing multiple installations of different PS version to co-exist and operate normally. Folks with the talent to create such wonderful tools as the Healing Brush surely could devise an activation scheme that doesn’t affect the normal operation of older versions of PS.

Regards,

Daryl
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 31, 2003
Daryl,

Here’s what the Creative Suite EULA says:

"All upgrades and updates are provided to you on a license exchange basis. You agree that by using an upgrade or update you voluntarily terminate your right to use any previous version of the Software."

There is an exception clause for development/transition, and that may be the loophole allowing it to be done – I dunno.
RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 31, 2003
I have never uninstalled an earlier version after upgrading and don’t intend to start now.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 31, 2003
Well Bob, technically, you don’t have to uninstall them. It just says that you (basically) lose the right to use the previous versions.

So, like if someone has a question about 5.5, and you’re using an upgraded version 7, you cannot, technically, run 5.5 to look at the menu choices to help answer their question.
RH
r_harvey
Oct 31, 2003
I believe you can use a previous version that you have upgraded, but you cannot sell or give it away. Adobe people often say it’s okay to keep multiple versions installed at the same time (it would be nice if you could do the same with MS Word, Internet Exploiter…).
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 31, 2003
Harv,

There is no mention of the Upgrade clause in the Photoshop 7 (or 6) license, but the Creative Suite License specifically states that you lose your rights to use the predecessors.
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Oct 31, 2003
Deleted my own post on mixing topics in this thread.
RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 31, 2003
Well right now the only version I have installed is 7 because I got a new computer last December. But next week I’ll have 7 and CS as well as ID 2.0 and ID CS and Illustrator 10 and CS.

Besides, until the dot releases come out, you can’t be too safe.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 31, 2003
Yeah, I agree with you Bob. I’d do it exactly the same way. In fact, I still have 6 on my system, although god only knows why – but originally, it was to make sure the transition went smoothly – which IS allowed under the Creative Suite EULA.

But again, it’s not mentioned in the EULA for 6 or 7, so, I suppose there’s no issue.
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Oct 31, 2003
Tony,

I do agree that what you’ve quoted from the Creative Suite EULA does sound like they’re saying you can’t use a prior version of any application after installing and transitioning to the CS apps. I guess we could all just say that it takes us a very long time to fully transition to the newest products and we’d be fine. 🙂

Actually, I do think most folks would ultimately uninstall an older application if they’re not using it at all, but EULA or no EULA, I’ll not let it dictate to me that I can’t use something I own (ignoring the legalese that I don’t actually "own" the software but rather the license to use it).
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 31, 2003
I don’t disagree Daryl – technically, it is way too difficult to enforce anyway. That is, of course, until product activation scans your computer for previous versions and renders them unusable. That’s not what it does today, but it can and probably will.
RH
r_harvey
Oct 31, 2003
There is no mention of the Upgrade clause in the Photoshop 7 (or 6) license, but the Creative Suite License specifically states that you lose your rights to use the predecessors.

D’oh. I missed that obvious connection. Trade-in for CS, and you give-up your old license.

However, if you are still using 7, you can also have 6, 5.5… installed. Illustrator users have often reverted to 8 from 9 or 10, and nobody has said anything about it.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 31, 2003
True Harv. I have no idea what the new Photoshop CS license says. But in theory, consider this.

Versions 5.5, 6, and 7 had no "upgrade clause". The license for Creative Suite does. So in theory, you use your version 6 license for the Creative Suite upgrade, and therefore exchange that license. Some users have complained that once they go to the Suite, they cannot upgrade individual components – the fact is, since you technically still have your license for version 7 (you didn’t exchange that one), then you can use version 7 for an individual product upgrade down the road.

At least that’s how I read it.
RH
r_harvey
Oct 31, 2003
At least that’s how I read it.

This week.

Next week, there should be new declarification posted. I think I’ll turn the lights out, and eat all the candy myself.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 31, 2003
Tony,

Here’s what the Creative Suite EULA says:

hot off the presses in the cs forum… look at johns reply

John Cornicello "Upgrading to CS" 10/31/03 12:43pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/22>
RH
r_harvey
Oct 31, 2003
I think I’m gonna need some more candy.
JS
jason_sheldon
Oct 31, 2003
It is unwarranted to call someone a thief, just because they do not want to submit to product activation.

Adobe said that I would be classed as a pirate if I installed the photoshop from CS on my video editing machine, and the rest of the product (excluding Photoshop) on my DTP machine, and the whole suite on my laptop…..

I think that’s a bit rich.. especially as it’s the misleading wording on their website that leaves me unable to work legally now, unless I buy a separate copy of Photoshop.

J
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 31, 2003
In your case J, that’s right because you’ll have that s/n on THREE machines, which is against the license.

That makes for an interesting scenario…

The license allows you to install on two machines – basically. But if you install on your laptop, you aren’t allowed to "split" the install so that you have photoshop only? Or reverse?

So functionally, then, you must install the Full Suite on every machine?

Hmm…. product managers.
CS
Carol_Steele
Oct 31, 2003
With Adobe software, Adobe has always recognised that people will run the two versions in tandem for around a month so that if they have mission critical work they can do it on the old tried and trusted version whilst they work themselves into the new version – so unlike MS products where you upgraded over the top of the previous version, with Adobe products it is generally mandatory to install it into its own new folder.

Obviously, if they wanted to, they could make sure that you can’t run the two products together by causing the installer to seek out and destroy the previous version before installing itself into the same folder. —

Carol
(Posted from the UK)
CS
Carol_Steele
Oct 31, 2003
I’ll not let it dictate to me that I can’t use something I own
(ignoring the legalese that I don’t actually "own" the software but rather the license to use it).<

Legally you don’t own the licence to the old product once you have used that licence to upgrade to the new software Daryl.

Carol
(Posted from the UK)
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Oct 31, 2003
Hi Carol,

I understand that. I guess for me the bottom line is that no harm is coming to anyone or any company when I’m the only user of the software. I see no reason why one shouldn’t be fully entitled to keep as many versions of the same application on their system as they choose. The only real threat in my opinion is that of trying to sell off an older version and recover your costs on it…which we both know legally isn’t allowed unless it includes a license transfer, thus also giving up your privleges as well to any upgrades to that license.

Meanwhile, beyond the obvious "normal use" of multiple applications, there remains other added value…namely that of trying to assist fellow users with problems that my uniquely apply to older versions or operating configurations.

All in all, I don’t think Adobe is likely to scoff at anyone with multiple versions of Photoshop co-installed on their PC, especially if a non-business (i.e., non-professional) user and if not duplicating or pirating the old software for use by others.

Cheers,

Daryl
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 31, 2003
Legally you don’t own the licence to the old product once you have used that licence to upgrade to the new software Daryl.

Carol,

I think that’s conjecture. There is no statement in the license agreement for 5.5, 6 or 7 supporting that statement. Is there an official Adobe statement other than the license?

I don’t know how the Photoshop CS license reads, but the Creative Suite license DOES read that way – but previous versions do not.
JD
Jeff_Darken
Oct 31, 2003
Carol,

If Adobe wiped out the old software when installing new then I think a lot of users would end up with no working software when the install went wrong, as it often does for various reasons.

I would offer an opinion here that MS has better installs than Adobe, perhaps because MS truly tests everything to destruction before coming out with a new product. On the other hand I never upgrade anything immediately, always wait until the bugs have gone. New installs generally fill me with apprehension.

Jeff
CS
Carol_Steele
Nov 1, 2003
I would tend to agree with you on that Daryl – but I would have been remiss not to point out the actual legal position.

Personally, I have enough stuff cluttering up my hard drives – so stuff gets tends to get taken off asap 🙂

Carol
(Posted from the UK)
CS
Carol_Steele
Nov 1, 2003
New installs generally fill me with apprehension<

Half full/half empty

New software tends to get me all excited and buzzing 🙂

Yeah, I know, I need to get a life 🙁

Carol
(Posted from the UK)
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 1, 2003
Carol,

I fully understand and appreciate your perspective. Thanks.

Yes, I too generally try to keep my drives clutter-free of extraneous programs, especially given that a "programs" partition I once thought was large enough is now nearly full and I’m thus installing apps to other partitions with more space. Nothing wrong with that other than just messing with my sense of organization some.

Before it is even suggested, yes, I do resize my partitions when I really must do so.

Daryl
JH
Jake_Hannam
Nov 1, 2003
As Jackson Browne once sang "someone’s gonna have to explain this to me" …

With all the discussions on the Creative Suite and the raging issues with activation, the inability to ‘break it up’ over several computers, the inability to upgrade to individual apps in the future from CS, and my own pet peeve about lack of printed user manuals, WHY would anyone want to buy the CS as opposed to buying the individual applications?

Yes, I know you get Version Cue and yes, I know that you only need Photoshop to get all the apps in CS. But, if you already own previous versions of Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, GoLive, etc., what is the advantage of the suite over upgrading individually? Pricewise, at $169 apiece for the individual upgrades, excluding the future value of Version Cue, it is cheaper to upgrade individually AND you get printed manuals AND individual serial numbers for future upgrades. I just don’t see the value of the CS.

What am I missing here?
L
LenHewitt
Nov 1, 2003
Jake,

What am I missing here?<<

200+ New OpenType Fonts giving a high degree of cross-platform compatibility?
I
ID._Awe
Nov 1, 2003
If you upgrade to Illustrator CS and InDesign CS you will get most of the fonts, the only exceptions are the Warnock Pro Opticals, Brioso Pro Opticals (which you get as a download when you activate the Suite [but not when you activate just PSCS). These two comprise an additional 74 fonts you get with the Suite over the 138 fonts you get with the individual upgrades.
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 1, 2003
ID, just a quick correction. You get the Brioso fonts when you REGISTER. There’s a big difference between registration and activation.

Also that bonus is only for Canada and the U.S.

Bob
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Nov 1, 2003
Once again, us europeans don’t get the same benefits, yet we pay higher for PS. I know about the taxes, and translation costs, but then why prevent us to get all the fonts?
JD
Jeff_Darken
Nov 1, 2003
Well said Pierre,

Adobe Europe or UK charges us almost double for the products and we get less. It really is about time Aodobe US parent company had words with Adobe Europe. OK we could understand say 20% more but what we are charged is not right. I am sure pricing affects sales volumes rather negatively.

Jeff

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections