HW
Posted By
Hans-Georg_Wilden
Oct 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I try desperately to print large panorama (21 x 150cm or 8 x 56 inch) using Photoshop 6.01 and an Epson Stylus Photo 890 printer with adequat roll paper. Smaller panaromas (half size) work OK.
Here is what happens:
After invoking of the Print options dialogue the size of the photo is shown correctly and I switch to printer setup. Setting up of the Epson printer works just fine. Then when switching back to the PS print dialog it aborts saying "Your request could not be finalized because of a program error". PS does not abort and works just normally, exept for the Print Dialogue which does no longer answer. When shutting down PS, I get the message "Run time error Photoshp.exe"
I tried various setups of the Epson, nothing works.
Is there a limit in papersize, Photoshop can handle? What to do? (WINXP Pro, PS 6.01) Please help
Thank you Hans-Georg

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Carol_Steele
Oct 30, 2003
I *think* there is a limit as to the maximum length you can print out on that Epson (which might be 40" – but might be slighter shorter). —

Carol
(Posted from the UK)
HW
Hans-Georg_Wilden
Oct 30, 2003
Carol,
The limit on the Epson is 327cm or 129 inches. Far away from the size I try to print. If you exeed this limit the Epson drives sets it back to the limit. Also it is not the Epson driver which logs out it is Photoshop.
I tried other dimesions: All works ok until a length of 120cm, above that limit PS refuses to print.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 31, 2003
The program error is most likely an unexpected error coming from the printer driver, not Photoshop.

The only limit in Photoshop is 30,000 pixels in either dimension.
HW
Hans-Georg_Wilden
Oct 31, 2003
Chris,
That seems unlikely. The Epson prints the same photo with the same banner settings correctly under MS Publisher.
The program error occurs in PS regardless of the size of the file. There maybe a problem with the "handshaking" between PS and the Epson driver?
Oh, by the way, I did download and install the latest driver available for XP. Maybe my issue is similar or linked to the other thread "Printing Banners"? Still looking for help,
Thanks
Hans-Georg
EL
Edward_Lifshitz
Jan 5, 2004
I have had this exact same problem in Photoshop CS and in Photoshop Elements 2 – both when attempting to print long panoramics (but well under the 30,000 pixel limit) to my epson 2200.

Did you ever find a solution?

Ed
T
TempusMn
Jan 5, 2004
Try turning off Print Spooling in Windows. I had to do that with my HP a while back.
EL
Edward_Lifshitz
Jan 6, 2004
Thanks – I tried turning off spooling, but error still persists.
BO
Burton_Ogden
Jan 6, 2004
Hans-Georg,

Many of the Epson printers have a built-in limit of 44 inches.

— Burton —
DL
Danny_Low
Jan 20, 2004
Han-Georg

I have an Epson 1280 and found that the longest that Photoshop will print is 45 inches. So I set up a 11×45 custom paper and just scale the image to fit within that limit. That is the only workaround I have ever found to this problem.

Danny Low
GG
Gordon_G_Harris
Feb 3, 2004
Hans-Georg,

If you have a recent version of Windows (XP certainly, Win2000 I’m told), you can print photos longer than 40inches on an Epson 1290 (I think this is the same as 1280?) by saving the Photoshop photo as a TIFF file, loading into Paint, selecting ‘Fit to 1 by 1 page’ in Paint’s Page Setup (Scaling). This has worked for me for prints 100 inches long.

In the printer settings I also select ‘print direct to printer’ and deselect the ‘enable advanced printing’ option – not sure if this is necessary.

Gordon Harris

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections