Oct 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
there’s a problem with the shortcuts that contain CTRL

can’t use ctrl-n , ctrl-u …..

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JR
Jacques_Rh
Oct 30, 2003
I have the same problem. All the shortcuts are "dead"!!
R
RussW
Oct 30, 2003
Whoa…. Is this happening to alot of people I dont want to install my copy if it is, I need those short cuts.
HG
Hilmar_Gud.
Oct 30, 2003
I heard some people have this issue. Is there any solution?
T
Toast
Oct 30, 2003
Me 2. No Control…
KZ
Ken_Zo
Oct 30, 2003
Isn’t that the problem with only the cracked versions of Photoshop CS?
R
RussW
Oct 30, 2003
Mine aint cracked so I guess I’ll Install it… and see

wrote in message
Isn’t that the problem with only the cracked versions of Photoshop CS?
CS
Carol_Steele
Oct 30, 2003
The CTRL key is working for me
CTRL+N opens the new file dialog box
CTRL+K opens the preferences dialog box

With an image open
CTRL+U opens the Hue/saturation dialog box
CTRL+I inverts the image

However this is not the shipping version which I have here

Have you opened the Shortcuts dialog box (Edit->Keyboard Shortcuts) and made sure that the proper shortcuts are listed there.

Carol
(Posted from the UK)
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 30, 2003
I’ve yet to receive my PS CS order but I sure hope this problem with the CTRL key can be attributed to use of a cracked copy of PS or some other obscure conflict, because to have such a major problem slip through into a retail release would suggest some poor quality control on Adobe’s part and would invite questions as to how many other problems will start to surface. The installation problem that requires use of small fonts alreadys hints at things not being quite as thoroughly checked out as they should’ve been, but that particular issue with small vs. large screen fonts is one that I do think is an easy one to forget about testing.

Regards,

Daryl
KZ
Ken_Zo
Oct 30, 2003
Well said Daryl, I hope so too!
MH
Mark_Hiers
Oct 30, 2003
What a novel way disabling a cracked version, if it is in fact cracked.

I suppose there could be some sort of utiltiy on the computer that is snagging the ctrl key before Photoshop gets it, but that seems unlikely (remember the alt key problem?)
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 30, 2003
Mark,

It is an interesting idea that I’ve never given much thought to…that while a company realizes their measures to control piracy may still be thwarted by a skilled hacker, perhaps countermeasures of a sort could be introduced. I don’t know if the approach to defeating, for example, activation would pretty much require one particular cracking tactic, but if that were then case then maybe a company could plant a different sort of "easter egg" in the code. I’m no software programmer, but I’d guess that some sort of routine could detect the presence of a crack that breaches the integrity of the original code and, if present, launch some problematic behaviors that makes use of the application a real nuisance. It’s a little scary to think of such an approach being used however, since it might increase the risk of problems in the native application.

As an Adobe employee, I’m sure you’ve got much more insight into such ideas as this than I do.

For what it’s worth, I don’t mean to suggest that anyone is using pirated software. But, it would certainly be welcome news to know that problems such as this one with the CTRL key are not in the retail product when installed and properly activated.

Daryl
W
wes
Oct 30, 2003
Mine works as expected. Whew! Sorry to hear about others having a problem though. I would blow a fuse, I think.
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Oct 30, 2003
All,

It would be helpful to us (Adobe) if you could provide information on your systems that are experiencing this problem:

1) What OS version
2) What other apps are running
3) Do any keyboard shortcuts in Photoshop work
4) Have you modified shortcuts in Photoshop CS
5) Is the Ctrl working for other applications
6) Is this a Photoshop CS install or Creative Suite intall

–steph
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 30, 2003
I’ll add to Stephanie’s list another item that may be worth considering:

7) Is this a fresh Photoshop CS installation to which no 3rd party plug-ins have been installed AND for which a secondary plug-ins path has not been specified?

Generally speaking, I don’t think any plug-ins are likely to affect key modifiers. The only exception I can think of is Extensis Phototools 3.06 with my Photobars supplement installed (Note, Photobars CS is not yet available and I would discourage use of Photobars 7 although it may work to a limited extent). The reason Photobars could be suspected is because provisions are available to create customized toolbar buttons that invoke keystroke sequences. However, this capability is one that has long not worked…back to Photoshop 4.0 at least…and Extensis never fixed it, so I’d not expect anyone to be attempting to use the capability now.

Regards,

Daryl
S
Sweet-P
Oct 30, 2003
No problem here…I am able to use Control + any key fine. I am working on Windows XP Pro.

wrote in message
there’s a problem with the shortcuts that contain CTRL

can’t use ctrl-n , ctrl-u …..
JR
Joseph_Randelson
Oct 30, 2003
The problem is that only the CTRL button seems to be disabled. Writing and using keyboard for all other actions seems to work.

Stranger is that Imageready works lika a charm and no problem with the CTRL key there.

Other app. run: ATI display manager, mouse and system files. No other open programs. All keys work but the CTRL-key
No modified shortcuts
CTRL is working on other applications
Photoshop CS install.
CTRL key works in Imageready

Regards,
Joseph
T
Toast
Oct 30, 2003
All keys work, except CTRL
No modified shortcuts (BUG-2?: they are in no way possible to modify BTW)

Photoshop CS install.
R
RussW
Oct 30, 2003
Ok, Ive decided I’m returning mine, Im not even going to try to install to manny people having this issue with no adobe answer

wrote in message
All keys work, except CTRL
No modified shortcuts (BUG-2?: they are in no way possible to modify BTW)
Photoshop CS install.
RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 30, 2003
Im not even going to try to install

Now that makes no sense at all. This is a support forum. Whenever a new version comes out there are plenty of issues. Install it and find out if it works. If it doesn’t then make a decision.

Bob
R
roggel
Oct 30, 2003
Arrow keys don’t work either when nudging layers by 1 pixel, neither does shift-arrow to nudge 10 pixels.
And of course, ctrl doesn’t work with me either.
I haven’t even tried to change the shortkeys, since I simply want ctrl to work!

Roggel
RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 30, 2003
Are any of you using customizable keyboards?

Bob
PS
Phil_Scarsbrook
Oct 30, 2003
No Problems here. Nudge works as well as the control key.

CS upgrade
windows 2k pro
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Oct 30, 2003
Can people who are experiencing this issue with Control keys do the following to ensure that the Keyboard shortcuts are not getting corrupted on install:

Go to the Edit Menu > Keyboard Shortcuts and then verify that the shortcuts are correct (or at least as you’d expect them to be by default) in that dialog.

Thanks.
R
RussW
Oct 30, 2003
Well I think it makes perfect sense, I wounder if it has anything to do with intelli type or intellipoint software?

wrote in message
Im not even going to try to install

Now that makes no sense at all. This is a support forum. Whenever a new version comes out there are plenty of issues. Install it and find out if it works. If it doesn’t then make a decision.

Bob
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Oct 30, 2003
Russ, I’d wondered about and nearly posted the same thing…questioning if Intellitype could be a culprit. However, I didn’t know if Intellitype was even used any these days. I sure hope the Intellipoint mouse drivers aren’t a problem though, as I’d not give up my Bluetooth Intellimouse just to get PS to work. But, I do recall several years ago having problems caused by Intellitype, and that was quickly dispensed with and has never been used since. I don’t remember what the problem was, unfortunately.

Daryl
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 30, 2003
Daryl – some plugins HAVE messed up odd things, especially certain companies’ misguided efforts to use extension plugins for their own means.
PC
Pete_Clark
Oct 30, 2003
I’m assuming all of you that are having a problem with the CTRL key are using the leaked version that appeared on the internet this morning. Remove the crack you applied and you’ll see that the CTRL key works again, of course then so does the product activation. 😉
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Oct 30, 2003
Hi Chris,

I recall some time ago when you told me of how Extensis didn’t follow the plug-in standards for Photoshop when they developed Phototools. Specifically I think that comment was with respect to the Photobars component. Is your comment now directed also at Photobars or are there some other problem plug-ins you’ve had some experience with? Since you say "plugins" (plural), I’m guessing Extensis isn’t the only company implied here.

In Extensis’ case however, I’m glad they exercised their "misguided efforts" into producing Phototools, because Photobars is a very useful component for many people, and particularly those with impaired mobility. I’ve yet to fully explore Photobars with PS CS, so my hopes are up that they remain functional and have no negative impact upon PS CS functionality.

Thanks,

Daryl
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 30, 2003
No, Extensis weren’t the only ones.
BR
Ben_Rogerson
Oct 30, 2003
I’m having same problems, ctrl key does not work, and my keyboard preferences show that the ctrl button is in use.

ctrl-n doesnt even work.

Someone plz get an answer on this.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 31, 2003
Ben – as stated earlier, we need more information to determine the cause. Read the earlier posts, and answer the questions asked.
KZ
Ken_Zo
Oct 31, 2003
To get clear if this problem only occurs in leaked / cracked versions of Photoshop CS, I would like to add question nummber 8 to the list of Stephanie.

8 ) Do you use a legal version Adobe CS or a leaked / cracked version of Adobe CS?
CS
Carol_Steele
Oct 31, 2003
Do you use a legal version Adobe CS or a leaked / cracked version of
Adobe CS?<
I wouldn’t have thought folk would answer that question honestly though Ken – if they were dishonest enough to get a cracked version, then any honesty in their replies would also be highly suspect I should imagine 🙁 —

Carol
(Posted from the UK)
M
mgrmek3
Oct 31, 2003
I tried cracked version just for test…
After putting the paradox crack in shortcuts doesnt work… They worked before adding crack…
I have a "fixed crack" now but still isnt working… But without crack and with activaction it works 🙂
CS
Carol_Steele
Oct 31, 2003
Please do not help folk to locate a cracked version by advertising who dun it.
CS
Carol_Steele
Oct 31, 2003
However, this is certainly going to be interesting in that we will now know who is using illegal software here and can easily report them to 🙂
MH
Mark_Hiers
Oct 31, 2003
Where is this ‘cracked’ version or the instructions for cracking?
M
mgrmek3
Oct 31, 2003
Buy legal program and you will need no crack!
Illegal stuff never works good so it is not worth take a risk before BSA to use pirate stuff…

Activated version always works…you have nothing to loose except some cash 🙂

If you put in google Photoshop CS crack you will be surprised…
I
ID._Awe
Oct 31, 2003
Mark: If you have access to a Mac, use Sherlock, should take all of about one minute!
KM
Ken_Miracle
Oct 31, 2003
Wow, it suddenly got quiet in here.
SB
Scott_Byer
Oct 31, 2003
Interesting. I did not see *one* post complaining that the Cntl key didn’t work that also claimed a legal copy.

Those using a crack and complaining here should be very, very ashamed of their thievery.

-Scott
DC
Dave_Cross
Oct 31, 2003
crack is whack
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Oct 31, 2003
Scott,

Carol said "this is not the shipping version I have here" (she’s a legal beta user) while Russ said "mine ain’t cracked". Outside of that, noone actually states whether or not they are using a legal vs. a cracked or pirated version. If anyone using an illegal copy were stupid enough to admit to that, then they deserve whatever abuse ensues.

So, with that in mind, I’d say that a your last comment as coming from an Adobe employee is uncalled for and I’d not think Adobe would condone such comments that might alienate their customers. However, I can appreciate the frustration caused by software piracy and hence your temptation to express thoughts such as these. I just think it would reflect better upon Adobe to avoid any "name-calling" and leave that to those of us who aren’t affiliated with Adobe.

Rob Harris’ comments in "Photoshop CS Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working" 10/31/03 10:30am </cgi-bin/webx?13/4> state that he was able to resolve his problems with the CTRL key, suggesting there is a real problem here in PS CS, and not just with some cracked veresion. Now, with all due respect to Rob and using him only as an example, it is entirely possible he is using a cracked copy of PS CS but carefully phrasing his comments and using what appears to be a real name so as to appear and sound like a legitimate owner and user of PS CS. Those who use nicknames are more open to suspicion since it may appear they are hiding behind a fake name, but we all know that there are also many legitimate Photoshop users to also use nicknames in this forum.

So please, let’s all try not to jump to making accusations or implications of who is or isn’t a thief, or pirate, or whatever name one might use. Yes, there are apt to be some such individuals showing up in here, but if I were an Adobe employee I’d be careful about slandering anyone and creating a negative view of the company I work for. And again, those who are stupidly obvious in their postings such as to pretty well suggest they are using pirated software, I suspect the user community will respond appropriately without Adobe even getting involved.

Regards,

Daryl
RW
Russell_Williams
Nov 1, 2003
So far, the evidence seems to suggest the two sources of this problem are:
1. Keyboard drivers — resolved by re-installing the driver
2. Cracked software.

Do we have any cases that have *not* been tracked down to one of these two causes?
JM
James_Magner
Nov 1, 2003
I’m having the same problems with Photoshop CS. Keyboard shortcuts that involve the Ctrl key don’t work at all and the arrow keys don’t nudge the selection. Just released and it needs patches?
I’m using an AMD XP 2700 processor with 1 Gig DDR RAM. Operating system is XP Home. Maybe Adobe wrote this software to address the Intel and Mac processors and not AMD.In any case it appears that this NEW version is nothing more than a Cash Cow designed for the masses and not the Professional.
CS
Carol_Steele
Nov 1, 2003
It isn’t happening on my system which has an AMD XP 1700+ processor.

With the exception of one person who managed to trace the problem back to a bad driver, all other instances have been probably down to using a cracked version of the product.

If you have a legit version of the product I would look to updating your drivers.

Carol
(Posted from the UK)
WN
Wesley_Norman
Nov 1, 2003
Windows XP home machine. 1 GB RAM, WinKey running in background (a shortcut maker program), PS CS installed. No problems with the Ctrl + shortcuts as yet. I haven’t done anything within the program to make changes to short cuts yet. Actually, everything seems to be running as expected in my case.
RH
r_harvey
Nov 1, 2003
…probably down to using a cracked version of the product… If you have a legit version of the product

Again, please don’t accuse people, who won’t submit to activation, of non-"legit" software piracy.
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 1, 2003
Where is that an accusation? Your use of editing is quite unfair in this case.

Bob
RH
r_harvey
Nov 1, 2003
Your use… is quite …fair in this case.

I agree.

Actually, she’s done it previously. I’m hoping she won’t continue to draw the automatic conclusion that people who try to use a crack are thieves.
CS
Carol_Steele
Nov 1, 2003
You are being a touch sensitive on this issue aren’t you RH??

……… and don’t go reading something into that which ain’t there!! —

Carol
(Posted from the UK)
RH
r_harvey
Nov 1, 2003
You are being a touch sensitive on this issue aren’t you RH??

No. The windmills tilted first.

and don’t go reading something into that which ain’t there!

Then there’s no need to draw the connection between thieves and those who just want to use their computers in peace, again.
HL
hanford_lemoore
Nov 1, 2003
Harvey wrote:

Then there’s no need to draw the connection between thieves and those who just want to use their computers in peace, again.

Does running the crack violate the DMCA? Does it violate Photoshop’s EULA?

~Hanford
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 1, 2003
Does it violate Photoshop’s EULA?

According to the license agreement, no. There is no legal requirement to activate (at present). Rather, by passing activation isn’t a violation. If you run a cracked version of Photoshop, you ARE in violation.
RH
r_harvey
Nov 1, 2003
Does running the crack violate the DMCA?

IANAL.

Does it violate Photoshop’s EULA?

That’s not a law. I doubt it, thought… IANAL.
HL
hanford_lemoore
Nov 1, 2003
by passing activation isn’t a violation … If you run a cracked version of Photoshop, you ARE in violation.

Wait, if there’s no requirement to activate, then if you own a legit copy of Photoshop but run the crack, you’re NOT in violation, right?

(PS, if there’s anything in the EULA that says "you may not modify the program in any way" then the crack may break the EULA.)

~Hanford
RH
r_harvey
Nov 1, 2003
(PS, if there’s anything in the EULA that says "you may not modify the program in any way" then the crack may break the EULA.)

A crack needn’t modify the program–or even look at it. They can be wrappers, or they can change things before or after a program runs.

IAAALP (I Am An Assembly Language Programmer)
HL
hanford_lemoore
Nov 1, 2003
A crack needn’t modify the program–or even look at it

On disk, right. But it undisputably modifies PSCS’s behavior — allowing it to run without being "activated". I don’t know the specifics though. I don’t know the wording of the EULA and I don’t know how the crack does it. (I don’t have PSCS or the crack). Whatever it does or does not do, there *may* be language in the EULA to prevent it, even if the EULA does not reference activation specifically.

But the DMCA is a different story, and we all know Adobe takes that very seriously. My guess is running the crack, even on a legit version og PSCS that you legally own, is in violation of the DMCA. Just a guess though.

IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer)

~Hanford

Perhaps if Adobe ships out CS upgrades to Fry’s I can get it.
RH
r_harvey
Nov 1, 2003
But it undisputably modifies PSCS’s behavior — allowing it to run without being "activated".

It might modify how the world looks to an application. The application is unchanged. The old "Change byte at offset 0x31337 to NOP" is gone. Fortunately. If I didn’t make it clear, I hate software piracy and the theft or unlicensed sharing of intellectual property.
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 1, 2003
The current Creative Suite EULA reads:

THE SOFTWARE MAY INCLUDE PRODUCT ACTIVATION AND OTHER TECHNOLOGY DESIGNED TO PREVENT UNAUTHORIZED COPYING. THE ACTIVATION TECHNOLOGY MAY PREVENT YOUR USE OF THE SOFTWARE IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THE ACTIVATION PROCESS DESCRIBED IN THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION.

That means it may not work, that’s it. There is no legal requirement to activate (and I don’t think you *can* legally require one to activate because of the language in the EULA – the ability of them to force you into a relationship with a third party is a gray area). If you by-pass activation, you are breaking the law, but not the EULA. The issue is between the violator and the company who provides the activation software (more likely though, the government – witness Elmsoft v. Governement).

Functionally, you are still licensed to use Photoshop, only you may have to do it from prison.
RH
r_harvey
Nov 1, 2003
That’s okay. In my experience from Adobe seminars, their prisons should have interesting entertainment, and serve good meals.

Edit: I hope the restrictions are clearly spelled-out on the box.
HL
hanford_lemoore
Nov 1, 2003
It might modify how the world looks to an application. The application is unchanged. The old "Change byte at offset 0x31337 to NOP" is gone. Fortunately. If I didn’t make it clear, I hate software piracy.

I agree, I’m just saying there could be a clause that does not take into consideration the method, just the end result. When I say it changes Photoshop’s behavior, I mean the behavior in a generic sense, not in a programmatic sense.
RH
r_harvey
Nov 1, 2003
Say a program were not licensed to run in Canada, but you wanted to use it there anyway. The crack might say that it’s not in Canada.
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 1, 2003
Hanford,

There is no such clause in the Creative Suite license. In addition, if there were such a clause, then there may be legal issues with third party providers who develop plug-ins and such.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 2, 2003
IAAALP

I am an animal lover, Phil? 🙂

Well one thing’s for sure, this activation has really got people reading the license. Now they need something to make people read the fine manual.
DH
Dave Hamer
Nov 2, 2003
Functionally, you are still licensed to use Photoshop, only you may have to do it from prison.

and I can verify that there are people in prison ( at least in Canada ) who have photoshop running on their computers.
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 2, 2003
They’ve got that Dave….there’s a one-liner about how to bypass activation. 😉
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 2, 2003
there’s a one-liner about how to bypass activation

they should advertise that on the outside of the box! 🙂

"And as a special bonus for those who read the manual, somewhere in the 379 pages is buried one line telling you how to permanantly disable activation for this product."

We’d never get a "how do I fix red eye?" question again!
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 2, 2003
That’s hilarious! The secret’s somewhere inside…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections