DM
Posted By
Dave_Mercel
Oct 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to know how to check the size of an object on a layer. I was intending to use ‘Image Size’ to check the object. However, the figure quoted here is not the image size, but in fact the canvas size. Funnily enough there is a command to check the canvas size called ‘Canvas Size’ so you would have thought Image Size would give me a different number since the object I want to check is way way smaller than canvas size.

I hope someone can help because the HELP file is of no use.

Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GH
Gary_Hummell
Oct 30, 2003
You can drag a rectangle over the object and the width and height will show in the Navigator pallet. Then just delete the rectangle. Also, a ruler is under the eyedroppers but you would have to take two measurments. If you need pixel size, just multiply the dimensions in inches by the "ppi" resolution shown in the Image Size dialog.

Gary
DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 30, 2003
You seem confused about the difference between canvas size and image size. If you change the image size from 300×300 pixels to 600×600 pixels, then the actual image will get twice as large (and blurry, but that is another thread).

If you change the canvas size from 300×300 pixels to 600×600 pixels, the image remains 300×300, but there is now 150 pixels of blank area all around the entire image. This makes 600×600 the new canvas size.

In reverse, changing the original picture to 150×150 with image size will reduce the size in half. Doing it with canvas size will cut off 75 pixels from each side (or not, if you choose to cut from one particular side) making the result a 150×150 piece of the original picture … a crude way of cropping.

I hope this makes sense … the best way to figure it out is to play with it a bit. When you see what is happening, it all makes sense.
JS
John_Slate
Oct 30, 2003
Make a selection of the object in question, then select File>New Document, and it will show you the size (bounding box) of the what is on the pasteboard (ie – your selection). If you need to know the area of an irregular selection, that is a different story.
LL
Larry_Ligon
Oct 30, 2003
Open up the Info pallet. Select the layer. Then Select>Load Selection. Then select "Layer 1 transparency". The size of the
object will be in the lower right hand corner of the Info pallet. If the object is a shape, you’ll have to rasterize the layer
first.

Larry
JS
John_Slate
Oct 30, 2003
simpler still…

good one Larry
P
Phosphor
Oct 31, 2003
If it’s a Shape Layer, simply CTRL+Click on the icon in the Shape Layer then look at the H:/W: pane in the Info Palette. No rasterizing necesary.
PC
Patty_Clarke
Oct 31, 2003
When I need to measure "irregular shapes" for inch measurements, I find a ruler created by one of the "smart people" to be a very valuable tool in my arsenal. I can line it up any way I need to.

Perhaps you could share that again Phos!

Patty 🙂
P
Phosphor
Oct 31, 2003
Hmmm…I’ve been meaning to rebuild that ruler, ticking off finer fractional increments.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections