DA
Posted By
Denise_A._Eells
Oct 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can a photograph be scanned into Photoshop so that Photoshop creates layers from the scan? Right now when I scan a photo it only scans in as one layer. I thought that you could scan a photo into Photoshop and the photo would be broken down into layers through the scanning process, so that you have a background layer, appropriate middle layers, and a foreground layer. Or, are layers only created by adding them to the single layer photograph?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
LenHewitt
Oct 29, 2003
Denise,

You have to create layers yourself and move required content to them.

How would a scanner know what was background or forground? All a scanner sees is a flat sheet of paper….
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 30, 2003
Can a photograph be scanned into Photoshop so that Photoshop creates layers from the scan

no.

You have to create layers yourself and move required content to them.

How would a scanner know what was background or forground? All a scanner sees is a flat sheet of paper….

you’re right of course len, but it would be cool and something might be done with edge detection algorithms… it wouldn’t be anywhere near 100% accurate, but why not?

and when am i going to get my official adobe star trek holodeck kit? i placed my order 3 light years ago! (of course i was near a black hole when i pushed the "purchase" button so maybe my order got scambled in the singularity)
L
LenHewitt
Oct 30, 2003
Dave,

but it would be cool <<

Indeed it would! <g>….maybe in 2020 hey? (By which time desktop 3D laser scanners will, of course, be common place and Epson will be selling them for $169.00…….)

i placed my order 3 light years ago! <<

It arrived 30 years before you were born, but you didn’t activate it within 30 days <g>
V
viol8ion
Oct 30, 2003
(By which time desktop 3D laser
scanners will, of course, be common place

http://www.ualberta.ca/CNS/3DPRINTER/

How about 3D printers? We have them today…. Epson better get on the ball….
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 30, 2003
viol8ion,

I have seen them at work. I want one of the advanced models the military uses that print to metal rather than a polymer like the consumer models. Apparently they use them on aircraft carriers to manufacture repair parts to get them by until they can get replacements flown in.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 30, 2003
Ladies, Gentlemen,

How often must I repeat this: a "light year" is a measure of distance, not a measure of time!

When I detect one more evidence of not paying attention to my lessons, I’ll be left with only one choice: I will snap my fingers and you will all wake up!
No more Photoshop!

Rob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections