Posted By
false_dmitrii
Nov 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, all,

I think I’m ready to replace my aging ViewSonic PF775 with something a bit more suited to photo work. At the same time, I’d like to take some real steps toward color management. I’m wondering what the wise ones among you think of the following:

For the monitor, I thought I’d go with a 19" Mitsubishi 930SB. It seems to have a great reputation for both high performance and reasonable pricing. For profiling, I’d already settled on a GretagMacbeth EyeOne Display, but I noticed that Mitsubishi offers its own proprietary "SpectraView" system as an option on the 930SB. I couldn’t dig up much information on SpectraView; can anyone comment on it? If it’s more capable than the EyeOne Display, at least when dealing with the 930SB, it might be attractive; if it’s only on par, the EOD would have an edge for its usefulness beyond the life of the monitor and for secondary displays.

Also, the EOD2 came out recently with claims of improved performance. Does it deliver over the EOD1?

false_dmitrii

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

N2
November04.2004
Nov 4, 2004
in article , false_dmitrii at
wrote on 11/03/2004 7:55 PM:

Does it deliver over the EOD1?

What is it worth to you to find out?
WS
Winfried.schwolgin1
Nov 5, 2004
(false_dmitrii) wrote in message news:…
Hi, all,

I think I’m ready to replace my aging ViewSonic PF775 with something a bit more suited to photo work. At the same time, I’d like to take some real steps toward color management. I’m wondering what the wise ones among you think of the following:

For the monitor, I thought I’d go with a 19" Mitsubishi 930SB. It seems to have a great reputation for both high performance and reasonable pricing. For profiling, I’d already settled on a GretagMacbeth EyeOne Display, but I noticed that Mitsubishi offers its own proprietary "SpectraView" system as an option on the 930SB. I couldn’t dig up much information on SpectraView; can anyone comment on it? If it’s more capable than the EyeOne Display, at least when dealing with the 930SB, it might be attractive; if it’s only on par, the EOD would have an edge for its usefulness beyond the life of the monitor and for secondary displays.

Also, the EOD2 came out recently with claims of improved performance. Does it deliver over the EOD1?

false_dmitrii

Colorimeters for calibrating and profiling a monitor are only made by a small number of companies. I just know two: sequel imaging (now part of GretagMacbeth) and colorvision. There are many, many oem product based on the the GM/Sequel imaging product. I don’t really know, but I guess, that the SpectraView system is also based on this device. Therefor it can be a question of the price.
But I don’t know whether the SpectraView device will also work with other monitors.

Winfried
FD
false_dmitrii
Nov 6, 2004
(W. W. Schwolgin) wrote in message news:…
Colorimeters for calibrating and profiling a monitor are only made by a small number of companies. I just know two: sequel imaging (now part of GretagMacbeth) and colorvision. There are many, many oem product based on the the GM/Sequel imaging product. I don’t really know, but I guess, that the SpectraView system is also based on this device. Therefor it can be a question of the price.
But I don’t know whether the SpectraView device will also work with other monitors.

That all makes sense. My impression was that SpectraView was equivalent to the built-in calibration system of the Artisan (which I’ve never encountered and can only guess about). The big question I can’t answer (no experience) is whether such systems typically outperform independent colorimeters and offer auto-calibration more closely tuned to the monitor’s capabilities. Time to write NEC/Mitsubishi to get their take on it. 🙂

false_dmitrii

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections