Posted By
p8mode
Oct 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello.

I have a black and white image. Id like to smoothly map the luminosity values to rgb values in the image.

An example would be a black and white image of a cloudy sky. Id like to colorize the image so that eg. the brightest clouds stay white, the darkest clouds become a reddish blue, the midrange luminosity values become a bright yellow etc. I suppose in general Im looking for a way to map luminosity values to colours in a gradient, where Ideally I can define/create the gradient as I please. Even better would be where I can alter the mapping on the fly so that I change the mapping/gradient in retrospect at any time without altering the original/underlying image pixels (ie the luminosity information).

Id be very grateful for any good suggestions on how to best achieve such an effect.
Thanks in Advance.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mike Russell
Oct 29, 2004
Peter Williams wrote:
Hello.

I have a black and white image. Id like to smoothly map the luminosity values to rgb values in the image.

An example would be a black and white image of a cloudy sky. Id like to colorize the image so that eg. the brightest clouds stay white, the darkest clouds become a reddish blue, the midrange luminosity values become a bright yellow etc. I suppose in general Im looking for a way to map luminosity values to colours in a gradient, where Ideally I can define/create the gradient as I please. Even better would be where I can alter the mapping on the fly so that I change the mapping/gradient in retrospect at any time without altering the original/underlying image pixels (ie the luminosity information).

Id be very grateful for any good suggestions on how to best achieve such an effect.
Thanks in Advance.

Check out gradient map – I think it will do exactly what you want: smloothly map a grayscale value to a color.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
B
bagal
Oct 29, 2004
Maybe even grayscale -> duotones (this allows duo tri and quad tone effects) b

then swap image mode back to rgb?

Aerticus

"Mike Russell" wrote in message
Peter Williams wrote:
Hello.

Thanks in Advance.

Check out gradient map – I think it will do exactly what you want: smloothly
map a grayscale value to a color.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

TN
Tom Nelson
Oct 29, 2004
You can also do this with Curves. Change the mode to RGB, then invoke Curves and move the endpoints around for each color channel. You can cmd (ctrl) click a point on the curve to set an intermediate point you can manipulate.
Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

In article , Peter
Williams wrote:

Hello.

Thanks in Advance.
P
p8mode
Nov 1, 2004
Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections