HG
Posted By
Howard_Grill
Oct 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
One more question about PS efficiency/speed.

If the OS and PS program are on one physical drive and the scratch disc on another where is the most efficient location to store the file that is actually being worked on:

a)It really doesn’t matter as the file being worked on is not written to or saved except when opened and closed

b)The same physical drive as the PS program and OS

c) On the large scratch disc drive

d)On a separate partition of the Physical drive on which the scratch disc is located

Last question regarding efficiency (I think)

Howard

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 26, 2003
This is a question best answered by Chris Cox, but my guess is that it would not matter. The scratch disk is being used when RAM is exceeded. The program is being used continually as well. So it makes sense that it is most efficient to have these on separate drives.

But the actual location of the file is only accessed at save time. Thus, while you are working on the program, this is never used. The only benefits might me marginal speedups in saving a file, because of reading from the scratch file and then writing to the real file.

I’d love to hear from Chris if this is right.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections