JM
Posted By
John McWilliams
Oct 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using CS on a Macintosh running osX.3.5, and a new Canon 20 D, pictures brought onto my HD via Image Capture and then opened in PS are all at image resolution of 72. It’s a bit annoying, as I print at 240, and I also like to to view on the monitor at "print size" from time to time, and if print size=actual pixels, it loses its usefulness to me.

Am I overlooking a pref. or setting in PS? In Image Capture? Or should I be looking harder in the camera?

Yes, I have created an action to deal with this, but it’d be nice to bring ’em in at preferred settings.

John McWilliams

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

T
tacitr
Oct 11, 2004
Using CS on a Macintosh running osX.3.5, and a new Canon 20 D, pictures brought onto my HD via Image Capture and then opened in PS are all at image resolution of 72.

The first thing you need to understand is that an image from a digital camera *has no resolution*. It’s not 240 pixels per inch, it’s not 72 pixels per inch–it’s not *anything* pixels per inch. The camera sees a grid of pixels, that’s it. The camera does not know or care how big the pixels will be when you print the image-that’s a choice you have to make.

Photoshop assigns a default resolution of 72 pixels per inch to images that have no resolution, largely for historical reasons.

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
B
bagal
Oct 11, 2004
This topic theme whatever seems to arise with increasing moronity and monotonous regularity

OK so here goes:

PSCS is a program
it works with various input devices (mouse, keyboard, pen & pad) These devices have things called d-r-i-v-e-r-s (drivers for short) it works with various output devices (monitor, 2 monitors, printers of the domestic kind and pro-print quality printers of the mega industrial kind)

A pixel on a 12" monitor is not really the same physical dimension as that on a 33" monitor If it was there would be a heck of unused space on big monitors. Just grey space not being used and a tiny 12" equivalent display somewhere on the bigscreen

Drivers (those mentioned above and not of the chauferring kind) need an operating system just so all the input-output devices talk really swell with programs

Oh this is dull …

Arty

"Tacit" wrote in message
Using CS on a Macintosh running osX.3.5, and a new Canon 20 D, pictures brought onto my HD via Image Capture and then opened in PS are all at image resolution of 72.

The first thing you need to understand is that an image from a digital camera
*has no resolution*. It’s not 240 pixels per inch, it’s not 72 pixels per inch–it’s not *anything* pixels per inch. The camera sees a grid of pixels,
that’s it. The camera does not know or care how big the pixels will be when you
print the image-that’s a choice you have to make.

Photoshop assigns a default resolution of 72 pixels per inch to images that
have no resolution, largely for historical reasons.

JM
John McWilliams
Oct 12, 2004
Tacit wrote:

The first thing you need to understand is that an image from a digital camera *has no resolution*. It’s not 240 pixels per inch, it’s not 72 pixels per inch–it’s not *anything* pixels per inch. The camera sees a grid of pixels, that’s it. The camera does not know or care how big the pixels will be when you print the image-that’s a choice you have to make.

Photoshop assigns a default resolution of 72 pixels per inch to images that have no resolution, largely for historical reasons.
Yes, thanks, I do think I have a decent handle on what you wrote, but that’s not what I asked.

I cannot find any Prefs in PS to change this, and another Canon I have seems to be brought in at 180 as the default resolution. I’d like to set them both to 240, perhaps it’s a quirk or whatever, but I’d still prefer to be able to click to get pixel x pixel (the 72), another to get approx. print size, and still another to fill the screen.

John McWilliams
JM
John McWilliams
Oct 12, 2004
Arty wrote:

This topic theme whatever seems to arise with increasing moronity and monotonous regularity
<< Snipped unsolicited rambling bits out >>
Oh this is dull …
Yes, and it’s condescending. It’s not at all what I asked, and while I know Tacit fully has the capacity to answer the original question, I seriously doubt you do. So please don’t bother trying.

John Mcwilliams
N
nomail
Oct 12, 2004
John McWilliams wrote:

Tacit wrote:

Yes, thanks, I do think I have a decent handle on what you wrote, but that’s not what I asked.

I cannot find any Prefs in PS to change this, and another Canon I have seems to be brought in at 180 as the default resolution. I’d like to set them both to 240, perhaps it’s a quirk or whatever, but I’d still prefer to be able to click to get pixel x pixel (the 72), another to get approx. print size, and still another to fill the screen.

You’re out of luck. There is no preference to change this default behavior. You could write an action to change the dpi setting and run the action on each image you open.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
S
Stuart
Oct 12, 2004
John McWilliams wrote:

John McWilliams

You do have resampling turned off when you change the settings and in the set action.

There are three options that appear just under the menu when you use the zoom tool which are what you want.

Stuart
JM
John McWilliams
Oct 12, 2004
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:.

You’re out of luck. There is no preference to change this default behavior. You could write an action to change the dpi setting and run the action on each image you open.
Yes, thanks, and I have written the action. I don’t disagree that there’s no Pref. in PS for that, but there must be elsewhere, as the pics from another camera come in at 180 by apparent default.

John McWilliams
JM
John McWilliams
Oct 12, 2004
Stuart wrote:

John McWilliams wrote:

John McWilliams

You do have resampling turned off when you change the settings and in the set action.

Yes, it is, thanks.

Q., tho. If on another photo I do resample and leave the settings for that, when I run the action on a new photo, will it revert to the state it was when I constucted the action?
There are three options that appear just under the menu when you use the zoom tool which are what you want.
Those are the ones I referred to. Or, those are the ones to which I referred!

John McWilliams
N
nomail
Oct 12, 2004
John McWilliams wrote:

Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:.

Yes, thanks, and I have written the action. I don’t disagree that there’s no Pref. in PS for that, but there must be elsewhere, as the pics from another camera come in at 180 by apparent default.

No, it just means that this other camera *does* include dpi information and sets it at 180. If there is information set at 180 dpi, PS will obviously keep it that way.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
T
tacitr
Oct 12, 2004
A pixel on a 12" monitor is not really the same physical dimension as that on a 33" monitor If it was there would be a heck of unused space on big monitors. Just grey space not being used and a tiny 12" equivalent display somewhere on the bigscreen

A pixel on a 12" monitor can be the same physical dimension as a pixel on a 33" monitor–it’s just that the 33" monitor has more of them.

If a 12" monitor and a 30" monitor both display pixels of the same size, then the 12" monitor can display 800 pixels across and 600 pixels down, whereas the 30" monitor will display 2,560 pixels across and 1,600 pixels down.

B
bagal
Oct 12, 2004
"John McWilliams" wrote in message
Stuart wrote:

John McWilliams wrote:

I merely return you to the answer I gave 🙂

Arty
EG
Eric Gill
Oct 12, 2004
John McWilliams wrote in news:eoyad.159691$wV.61281
@attbi_s54:

Yes, I have created an action to deal with this, but it’d be nice to bring ’em in at preferred settings.

Use the Camera Raw, plugin, then.

Not only does it give you much better control, it will remember your preferred resolution.
M
Mikey
Oct 12, 2004
On 2004-10-11 23:26:38 -0400, John McWilliams said:

Tacit wrote:

I haven’t found a setting for this in Image Capture, yet. However it sounds like what you want to do is really just an Action. I’d just make a couple Actions to set the rez (or size, or whatever) a couple of different ways and that’s it.

I haven’t looked at the API either (I don’t do that stuff anymore), but it’s likely that the rez info comes from the camera or its driver, like the dicky guy said. That would be the typical thing to do. There’s a struct of size, rez, pixel depth, et al, that gets filled up. All PS does it read it.

No sig, no neuroses
S
Scraphead
Oct 12, 2004
ohhhh, buuuurn!!!

Arty wrote:

Oh this is dull …
Yes, and it’s condescending. It’s not at all what I asked, and while I know Tacit fully has the capacity to answer the original question, I seriously doubt you do. So please don’t bother trying.

John Mcwilliams
B
bagal
Oct 12, 2004
Hey – it really is OK

We are allowed to differ in views – besides it permits practical application of conflict management n’est pas?

No hard feelings JMW

Arty

"Scraphead" <Watashee@{deletethis}one.net> wrote in message
ohhhh, buuuurn!!!

Arty wrote:

Oh this is dull …

John Mcwilliams

JM
John McWilliams
Oct 13, 2004
Arty wrote:
Hey – it really is OK

We are allowed to differ in views – besides it permits practical application of conflict management n’est pas?

No hard feelings JMW
10-4! ditto! me n Arty go back to at least the previous nym, where I thought he was in Germany…..<s>

jpmcw
B
bagal
Oct 13, 2004
Groovy!

Arty wrote:
Hey – it really is OK

No hard feelings JMW
10-4! ditto! me n Arty go back to at least the previous nym, where I thought he was in Germany…..<s>

jpmcw
DM
Daniel Masse
Oct 14, 2004
John McWilliams wrote:
Using CS on a Macintosh running osX.3.5, and a new Canon 20 D, pictures brought onto my HD via Image Capture and then opened in PS are all at image resolution of 72. It’s a bit annoying, as I print at 240, and I also like to to view on the monitor at "print size" from time to time, and if print size=actual pixels, it loses its usefulness to me.

It seems this question of image resolution is confusing many people… But it is really extremely simple : the camera (or the scanner) gives the size of the image in pixels. Photoshop, not knowing what you intend to do with the image, will give you the image size assuming you intend to display it on the screen, hence the 72 dpi. If you want to know what size your picture will be when printed, uncheck "resampling" and enter the resolution you are going to use on your printer. This operation does not change your image.
J
jjs
Oct 14, 2004
"Daniel Masse" wrote in message

It seems this question of image resolution is confusing many people… But it is really extremely simple : the camera (or the scanner) gives the size of the image in pixels. Photoshop, not knowing what you intend to do with the image, will give you the image size assuming you intend to display it on the screen, hence the 72 dpi. […]

Is it not time to up that to at least 96spi?
N
nomail
Oct 14, 2004
jjs wrote:

"Daniel Masse" wrote in message

It seems this question of image resolution is confusing many people… But it is really extremely simple : the camera (or the scanner) gives the size of the image in pixels. Photoshop, not knowing what you intend to do with the image, will give you the image size assuming you intend to display it on the screen, hence the 72 dpi. […]

No, because dpi settings are irrelevant for screen display.

J
jjs
Oct 14, 2004
"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
jjs wrote:

Look, you moron, I know what DPI is, and by the way I said SPI just to confuse things. But the issue is FAPP, and in the vernacular of the SCREEN METRICS (save for…), 96 conveys what I ment.
N
nomail
Oct 15, 2004
jjs wrote:

jjs wrote:

Look, you moron, I know what DPI is, and by the way I said SPI just to confuse things. But the issue is FAPP, and in the vernacular of the SCREEN METRICS (save for…), 96 conveys what I ment.

Screens are not 96 dpi, they are what you set them to, bozo. On what island have you been the last ten years?
J
jjs
Oct 15, 2004

Screens are not 96 dpi, they are what you set them to, bozo. On what island have you been the last ten years?

They are what you set them to. Of friggin course. What I was saying was that for the sake of quoditian, you can tell a person to ‘set the monitor to 96’ or you can pester the living hell out of him and make an asshole out of yourself by abandoning the discourse of the dialog he is shown by the software, in this case Windows, then Photoshop. So be an asshole. I’ll bet your everyday clients just love you.
JM
John McWilliams
Oct 15, 2004
Eric Gill wrote:
John McWilliams wrote in news:eoyad.159691$wV.61281
@attbi_s54:

Use the Camera Raw, plugin, then.

Not only does it give you much better control, it will remember your preferred resolution.
I use the CS plugin for RAW images, and have it set to save at my preferred print size. no problemo.

But I also shoot in jpeg, and that remains problematical.

john mcwilliams

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections