B
Posted By
Brian
Oct 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Currently I have two 80-gig drives, RAID 0/striped. This volume is split evenly to form my C and D drives. XP’s scratch disk is on D, and PS’s scratch disk is also on D (yes I know this is a no-no). I’m in the process of reconfiguring my system, and am wondering if it’s worth it to buy a used 7200rpm IDE drive and dedicate it as a PS scratch disk. Would I see a noticable performance increase?

The system as it sits now is a P4 2.4ghz, 512 megs RAM. I screwed myself when I bought the computer by letting the salesman talk me into RAMBUS (so shoot me), so when I do end up adding RAM I’m going to have to fork out the $$ for a new mobo and go the DDR route anyway.

Note that even when I do upgrade to a gig (or more?) of RAM, I’ll still buy the new drive to use as a scratch disk. I guess in the end I’m just wondering how noticable the performance gain will be with a dedicated scratch disk (assuming I don’t add RAM at this time).

I’m learning this as I go, so bear with me and thanks in advance.

-Brian

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

H
Hecate
Oct 8, 2004
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:28:00 -0000, Brian wrote:

Currently I have two 80-gig drives, RAID 0/striped. This volume is split evenly to form my C and D drives. XP’s scratch disk is on D, and PS’s scratch disk is also on D (yes I know this is a no-no). I’m in the process of reconfiguring my system, and am wondering if it’s worth it to buy a used 7200rpm IDE drive and dedicate it as a PS scratch disk. Would I see a noticable performance increase?

It’s a total waste of time to have the PS scratch disk on a partition – it wouldn’t matter if the XP scratch was on C and the PS one on D, because you’ve striped them they appear as the same physical disk and both disks will be accessed at the same time.

So, yes, it is worth having a separate disk. I have a separate disk which is used for saving images and as the PS scratch disk and it made things quite a bit faster.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
J
jjs
Oct 8, 2004
"Hecate" wrote in message

It’s a total waste of time to have the PS scratch disk on a partition – it wouldn’t matter if the XP scratch was on C and the PS one on D, because you’ve striped them they appear as the same physical disk and both disks will be accessed at the same time.

PS/CS users should tatoo that on their bodies. PS/CS is a state-of-the-art image processing program that performs well enough with the defaults, BUT if you want awesome performace, do what the pros do and install four spindles dedicated to PS/CS sources and scrath files and be happy. Really, the price of discs is trivial when one considers the scope of PS/CS.
H
Hecate
Oct 8, 2004
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:57:00 -0500, "jjs" wrote:

"Hecate" wrote in message

PS/CS users should tatoo that on their bodies. PS/CS is a state-of-the-art image processing program that performs well enough with the defaults, BUT if you want awesome performace, do what the pros do and install four spindles dedicated to PS/CS sources and scrath files and be happy. Really, the price of discs is trivial when one considers the scope of PS/CS.
Yes. Disks are almost consumables now 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections