DF
Posted By
Derek Fountain
Oct 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m working on an image of a giraffe, and part of it is giving me trouble. Have a look at this:

http://www.derekfountain.org/misc/giraffe_bit.jpg

That’s the top of the head, with those cute furry stump things giraffes have. :o)

The background for the entire picture is dark green trees, nicely out of focus, except for this bit just around the top of the head where there’s a gap in the trees. Bright blue sky is showing through which is a distraction. The large, blown out blob is easy to clone over, but the pale blue area directly behind the fur isn’t.

I’ve tried all sorts of things to get that area selected but nothing I try looks convincing. I need to leave the wisps of fur alone, while selecting the blue background. The extract filter did a crap job! The closest I got to success was the PSCS colour replacement brush, which does a decent job of picking out the blue, but for some reason would only replace it with pale green, even when I had the foreground colour set to black. Not sure what’s going on there.

Can anyone give me any tips?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MS
Michael Strickland
Oct 7, 2004
In article
<4164f815$0$1291$>,
Derek Fountain wrote:

I’m working on an image of a giraffe, and part of it is giving me trouble. Have a look at this:

That’s the top of the head, with those cute furry stump things giraffes have. :o)

The background for the entire picture is dark green trees, nicely out of focus, except for this bit just around the top of the head where there’s a gap in the trees. Bright blue sky is showing through which is a distraction. The large, blown out blob is easy to clone over, but the pale blue area directly behind the fur isn’t.

I’ve tried all sorts of things to get that area selected but nothing I try looks convincing. I need to leave the wisps of fur alone, while selecting the blue background. The extract filter did a crap job! The closest I got to success was the PSCS colour replacement brush, which does a decent job of picking out the blue, but for some reason would only replace it with pale green, even when I had the foreground colour set to black. Not sure what’s going on there.

Try Color Range, making a channel of that selction, blurring the channel, selecting the result, then with a soft-edged lassoo, deselecting unwanted sky areas.

Then do successive Adjustment Layers with Levels to get your greens. It might work after doing this three or four times.

Michael
J
jenelisepasceci
Oct 7, 2004
Derek Fountain wrote:

Hi Derek,
nobody knows or cares about the hair on top of the horn of this particular giraffe. Try and clone background material into the light spot ignoring the hair. When the background is ok, lasso some hair over the other horn, copy and paste, flip horizontal, move it to the bald area and, using a layer mask, implant it smoothly. This is done in humans, so why not try it in giraffes 😉
The result may look somewhat like this:

http://www.med-rz.uni-sb.de/med_fak/pharma-toxi/PS/giraffe_w hig.jpg

HTH, Peter
J
Johan
Oct 7, 2004
"Derek Fountain" schreef in bericht

extract giraffe and put it on a other background ?

johan
DF
Derek Fountain
Oct 9, 2004
Derek Fountain wrote:

I’m working on an image of a giraffe, and part of it is giving me trouble.

Thanks to those who offered help. Peter’s "copy the other one" technique did a fine job… 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections