CS
Posted By
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently upgraded from Win 98SE to Win XP Home and have had very little trouble with any apps as a result (e.g., Elements and Album 2.0 run fine). However, when I went to start Photoshop 7, I got the message: "This application has failed to start because AXEParser.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." Then the application continued to load and appears to be working normally.

My question is: Do I need to reinstall? Any idea what function may be affected by the absence of this file? I really hate to go through the re-install hassle, but I would also hate to edit an image and then find I couldn’t use certain filters, effects, etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Chuck

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 22, 2003
Did you upgrade from Win 98? Most people say that is the root of a lot of problems, and they recommend a clean install of XP onto the hard disk.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 22, 2003
what don says is true. you could do worse than formatting and starting from scratch, especially since the setup is new. best time to do it is before you put a lot of effort into the file system.

also I couldn’t find AXEParser.dll in google to tell you what’s possibly wrong. Are you sure you got the name right?
RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 22, 2003
Never upgrade an operating system. Cut your losses now by backing up your data and doing a clean install. It will take a few hours to get back up and running but you’ll save way more time than that trying to troubleshoot an upgraded operating system.

Bob
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 22, 2003
Thanks, but I’m going to keep on keeping on with XP over 98SE – it really went surprisingly well. The clean install option is way too scary for me to contemplate. If PS7 misbehaves, I’ll uninstall and reinstall it; just have to take care of extra brushes and plug-ins. Just thought someone might have encountered that message before….

Chuck
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 23, 2003
Chuck – do the clean install, otherwise you’ll be stuck with DLL conflicts for years…
RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 23, 2003
Thanks, but I’m going to keep on keeping on with XP over 98SE

Suit yourself. Good luck, you’re going to need it.

Bob
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 23, 2003
Chris, thanks, but there’s no way I can do a clean install – way too time-consuming and risky. The computer itself won’t last more than another 6-9 months, so I can cope that long. I’ve only had one .dll conflict so far, and I’ve run most of the programs that really matter to me. Yes, I wish I could have done it differently, but the choice for me was sticking with 98SE and not being able to use PS CS or Album 2.0 or doing an overlay with XP and hoping for the best. I chose the latter, and I have no regrets – at least not yet!

🙂
JC
James_Collins
Oct 23, 2003
Searching my own hardrives I found AXEParser.dll in Acrobat Reader files and nowhere else. You might try reinstalling Acrobat Reader. I am on Windows XP also.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 24, 2003
James, thanks very much. Acrobat Reader would certainly be an easy reinstall!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections