SJ
Posted By
sally_jenkinson
Oct 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know of anywhere I can find business card templates for photoshop (10-up)? I can only find them for [gasp!] quark, which I don’t have 🙁

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Oct 21, 2003
Making business cards in Photoshop is not the best way to go for several reasons, but if that’s all you have, so be it.

Actually, making your own tempplate isn’t too difficult, and it’s educational in the bargain.

If you can’t be bothered or don’t have the time, there are likely templates in the Adober Studio Exchange <http://share.studio.adobe.com/axBrowseProduct.asp?p=2>.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 22, 2003
Sally,

One relatively easy way to do this in Photoshop is to create your business card image and then use the Picture Package tool to build up a sheet of cards. However, there isn’t likely a package provided that would suit your needs, so you’d need to create a custom layout that does.

If this helps, I have already done such a task once before, creating a 7×10-inch layout of 10 2×3.5-inch cards, with no gutters between the cards. That is, you’d need to cleanly cut them apart since there is no room for mistakes. You can save the layout from <http://jazzdiver.com/photoshop/10BusinessCards.txt> and then move the file to the Presets/Layouts folder under your Photoshop installation path. For example, mine is D:\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Presets\Layouts

To use the new layout, go to File > Automate > Picture Package and choose the 7.0 x 10.0 inch page size. Most likely you have no other layouts using this page size, so the Layout should already be correctly shown as (10)2×3.5. Browse to your source file and create your picture package with this layout, print, cut, and you’re done. 🙂

Hope that helps,

Daryl
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Oct 22, 2003
Good one Daryl.
DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 22, 2003
Re: That is, you’d need to cleanly cut them apart since there is no room for mistakes.

You can buy precut business card paper from stationery places. The trick I have found with these is to print first onto ordinary cheap paper, and then hold the page up to light and the precut stuff and see how it lines up. Then you can fudge the position back and forth by changing the canvas size (I expect … I have never made cards in PS).

It is a lot more comfortable using 2 cent bond paper to make the mistakes on, rather than the precut paper at up to 50 cents a page.
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Oct 22, 2003
What about the ink?
I use a template with selections a few pixels smaller and past the card into the selections with an action. The cutting lines are there very tiny.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 22, 2003
Don,

I didn’t mention the pre-cut business card paper, for the very reason you mentioned regarding an accurate lining up of the template to the actual scores in the paper. Test prints on plain paper do help, yet still there can easily be slight variations from one sheet to the next when printing, simply due to how smoothly and accurately the printer feeds each sheet.

The main tip I’d offer here, with respect to these concerns, is that if your business card has some solid-colored or even-textured margin area that is forgiving of slight misalignments, then all is well. Otherwise, if precision is needed, I’d print the cards to cardstock that isn’t pre-cut, and then cut them myself. Of course, this isn’t too practical for a large volume of cards. The first approach is much easier for obvious reasons. I made up some business cards for a photographer friend of mine using the latter approach, because each card was designed to look like a framed print, and any misalignment in the printer would’ve chopped off part of the thin "frame" around the perimeter.

Regards,

Daryl

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections