D
Posted By
dpaikkos
Oct 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sorry if I am repeating a thread but I did not see a resolution to this. We are experiencing a problem with some jpeg images. The images come striaght from a scanner (Cezanne Elite), are saved as tiff to a network share, are copied or moved to the user’s local disk then opened in PhotoShop. The files are created as 16bit and are changed to 8bit before saving as a jpeg (low compression with profile and preview). When you go back to the image and try to open it, PhotoShop reports "invalid jpeg marker". This appears to happen mostly with WinXP PCs but I can’t imagine that the OS has anything to do with it. When this happens it can be reproduced time and again.
If I restart PhotoShop, open the original tiff and then save it as I stated above, most of the time, it will work ok. The PCs are P4 3Ghz, 1GB DDR RAM, 2 x 36GB Ultra3 SCSI HDD. The users are running PS 7.01. Has any one else seen this?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
LenHewitt
Oct 21, 2003
Are your users saving directly to the network? The error definitely indicates file corruption.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 21, 2003
network issues. save to hard drive, then copy to network to distribute. also you realize jpg is lossy right? you should be saving your original in a non-lossy format like tif, psd, png, etc.
D
dpaikkos
Oct 22, 2003
The original scanned file is saved to a network share as a tiff. The file is then copied (via explorer) to a folder on the users desktop. It is opened in PS, a default profile assigned. The file is cleaned…etc, turned to 8bit, converted to Adobe98 and saved as a JPEG back to a network share. The original file is saved for archive.

The two users this has happened to have just had their PC’s upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP. No-one has seen this problem until now.

I am not discounting the network. However there is never a problem with opening the original tif. If this is a network problem then it is only a problem saving the JPEG. They do "save as" to a network share. I have asked them to "save as" to their desktop and then copy the file to the network share. I will see if that makes a difference. However my single experience of this was that once this problem started to happen it didn’t matter where the file was saved it was only by re-starting PS that the problem was removed.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections