Posted By
pn
Sep 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all

I have been playing with web site and graphic design for a while now but keep running into this same silly little problem.

How do I draw a nice clean edged arc/circle? All I want is a simple ‘line drawing’ to diagram soccer plays but I keep getting ugly results. The final product always looks like the ‘blown-up’ version where every curve looks like a pile of boxes.

I know it can be done much better because I found a gif image on the web that is just like what I am trying to do but looks a _lot_ cleaner and even prints well

-> http://www3.telus.net/bikim/ice -> ‘Official Pitch’

TIA

Phil N

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
bigbopper
Sep 28, 2004
in article z286d.167120$ wrote on
09/28/2004 12:05 AM:

How do I draw a nice clean edged arc/circle?

Hire someone to do it for you. You are not up to the task.
O
orchid
Sep 28, 2004
pn wrote:

Hi all

I have been playing with web site and graphic design for a while now but keep running into this same silly little problem.

How do I draw a nice clean edged arc/circle? All I want is a simple ‘line drawing’ to diagram soccer plays but I keep getting ugly results. The final product always looks like the ‘blown-up’ version where every curve looks like a pile of boxes.

I know it can be done much better because I found a gif image on the web that is just like what I am trying to do but looks a _lot_ cleaner and even prints well

Draw the diagram at exactly the size you want it to be on your web site at 72 dpi using the shapes/vector tools in Photoshop. Or, draw it in Illustrator and rasterize it at the desired size.

Vector images (created in Illustrator or Freehand) when rasterized yield crisp, clean lines and give you flexibility in choosing the image size in the future with clean-looking results.

However, if you don’t know how to manipulate paths, shapes or points, creating this type of artwork may be rather difficult for you.

Orchid
DT
David Thompson
Sep 28, 2004
You could use a program which uses vectors to create a shape, which I don’t know much about. However, if you’re using some version of Photoshop, this will work:
Select the ellipse from the Marquee toolbox
Hold down the shift key and drag a perfect circle of the required size. Pick a foreground color, then ">Edit >Stroke… to select the line width and placement you want.
Click Enter, then deselect the Marquee tool.

"pn" wrote in message
Hi all

TIA

Phil N
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 28, 2004
pn wrote:
Hi all

The pencil tool will do this. Make sure your resoltion is high enough, and that you use a 1 pixel brush and not the pencil.

Three methods to try:

1) rule and compas – use circular marquee to draw circles which you then stroke with a one or two pixel brush. There are a lot of options here that are not obvious from the get go. For example, you may drag guides onto your image, and selected circles will snap to the intersections of these guides in helful ways.

2) pen tool – lay down an arbitrary line with the pen tool, and use the Stroke Path command in the Paths palette to draw over it with a narrow 1 or 2 pixel brush.

3) the line tool – this may be your most useful option, although it is restricted to straight lines, there is an option to add an arrowhead to the end.

When you save your final image, use png or higher quality jpeg and not gif, which has a tendency to show jaggies.

BTW – sometimes getting answers here is like reaching for coins in the bottom of a pool full of pirranah’s 🙂 Not to worry – if you can ignore them they can’t really bite.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
G
Gadgets
Sep 29, 2004
Line/box/ellipse tool – use the various options in the options bar to create a shape only/filled shape/hollow shape

Cheers, Jason (remove … to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
P
pn
Sep 29, 2004
Thanks very much to all who have been helpful and to the other(s): maybe you could hire someone to be a human for you – you’re obviously not up to the task.

Phil

pn wrote:
Hi all

TIA

Phil N
B
bigbopper
Sep 29, 2004
in article Rup6d.1285$ wrote on
09/28/2004 7:55 PM:

and to the other(s): maybe
you could hire someone to be a human for you – you’re obviously not up to the task.

How about you hire someone to fill you in that this is not a free ride.

Do your own work. Every time you try and get something for nothing you run the risk of being confronted for your error.
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 29, 2004
bigbopper wrote:

you could hire someone to be a human for you – you’re obviously not up to the task.

Do your own work. Every time you try and get something for nothing you run the risk of being confronted for your error.

I disagree completely. Most of my effort in this newsgroup is exactly that: giving something for nothing.

All are welcome to post their questions here, just as all are welcome to respond or not as they see fit.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
O
orchid
Sep 29, 2004
Mike Russell wrote:

bigbopper wrote:

I disagree completely. Most of my effort in this newsgroup is exactly that: giving something for nothing.

I think giving something for nothing is pretty much the point of participating in newsgroups unless you’re a spammer…in which case you’re giving nothing for nothing.

Orchid
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 29, 2004
Orchid wrote:
Mike Russell wrote:

bigbopper wrote:
in article Rup6d.1285$ wrote
on 09/28/2004 7:55 PM:

I think giving something for nothing is pretty much the point of participating in newsgroups unless you’re a spammer…in which case you’re giving nothing for nothing.

Orchid

Well said. There is a third category – people who sometimes chose to hurt others.

Some of the more complex characters in this group are capable of both – talented people who enjoy amplifying that talent, in their own eyes at least, by using it as a lure to hurt others.

I would not choose to be involved in the actual personal lives of those people. And sorrow to those who are, because they have fallen the ugliest of human traps: a smart person who enjoys hurting others. —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
T
tacitr
Sep 29, 2004

One thing I really, really like about comp.graphics.apps.photoshop–with proper use of killfiles, it becomes a very pleasant place.

plonk<

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
B
bigbopper
Sep 29, 2004
in article Gmt6d.2645$, Mike Russell at
wrote on 09/29/2004 12:20 AM:

Most of my effort in this newsgroup is exactly that:
giving something for nothing.

So what? Just because you choose to do something does not mean that anyone else has to do the same thing.
B
bigbopper
Sep 29, 2004
in article 1gkvxsp.ch7zveaibgcgN%, Orchid at
wrote on 09/29/2004 1:29 AM:

I think giving something for nothing is pretty much the point of participating in newsgroups

Unless you are a crybaby, like you… then all you give is baby tears.

There is no one use for a newsgroup. Each person decides how they will use the newsgroup.
B
bigbopper
Sep 29, 2004
in article RYu6d.2652$, Mike Russell at
wrote on 09/29/2004 2:09 AM:

Well said. There is a third category – people who sometimes chose to hurt others.

Not possible without the help of the other party. Some people like to be victims. They use it to their advantage. Play up the "poor victim" act.

So that silly people like you will feel sorry for them.
T
tacit
Sep 29, 2004
in article , Tacit at
wrote on 09/29/2004 7:30 AM:

One thing I really, really like about comp.graphics.apps.photoshop–with proper
use of killfiles, it becomes a very pleasant place.

plonk<

So what. Goofball.
R
RSD99
Sep 29, 2004
PLONK
CJ
Carol J
Sep 29, 2004
in article iRD6d.30$ wrote on
09/29/2004 12:15 PM:

PLONK

Who cares what you do?
RM
RC Moonpie
Sep 29, 2004
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:56:59 -0700, bigbopper
wrote:

So what? Just because you choose to do something does not mean that anyone else has to do the same thing.

Exactly. They could choose to be an egomaniacal pest like you have been for years. Good job Mike.
T
tacit
Sep 29, 2004
in article , RC Moonpie at
wrote on 09/29/2004 1:04 PM:

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:56:59 -0700, bigbopper
wrote:

Exactly. They could choose to be an egomaniacal pest like you have been for years. Good job Mike.

Is there some reason "Mike" should care what you think?
P
pn
Sep 29, 2004
tacit wrote:

not worth reprinting

Just to prove that I am indeed a moronic newbie; I only just now realized that I can filter newsgroups.

Thanks

Phil
‘not-up-to-the-task-of-spewing-idiotic-platitudes-with-some- of-the-geniuses-on-this-list’ N
T
tacit
Sep 29, 2004
in article 2RG6d.3208$ wrote on
09/29/2004 3:39 PM:

‘not-up-to-the-task-of-spewing-idiotic-platitudes-with-some- of-the-geniuses-on -this-list’
N

This is a newsgroup, not a "list", newbie.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections