BJ
Posted By
bob_jared
Oct 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to do something fairly straight forward but am having difficulty finding exactly how to accomplish this in any of my Photoshop books – or I’m looking in the wrong place and would sincerely appreciate any tips or advice.

I’m creating a photo collage / montage that is comprised of several different photos. This has resulted in me having 10 layers of which the top 8 are visible and the bottom 2 are turned off. For simplicity and brevity here, let’s just say I have 8 layers and the top (uppermost) layer I’ll call "layer 1".

I want to apply an adjustment layer w/ curves on layer No.1 and I want it only to effect the top 3 layers and NOT have any effect on layers 4 thru 8. What is the best way to accomplish this having already gotten this far, in mid project.

If I need to supply any more detailed information please let me know. Thanks for any advice !

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Oct 20, 2003
Let’s see if I got the Layer order correct:

(%)Layer 1
(%)Layer 2
(%)Layer 3
Layer 4
Layer 5
Layer 6
Layer 7
Layer 8
Layer 9 (hidden)
Background (hidden)

Target Layer 1 in your Layers Palette. Add your Adjustment Layer, and it’ll appear at the top of the stack, on top of Layer 1. Link Layers 1, 2 and 3 with the Adjustment Layer. (%).

(%)Curves Adjustment Layer
(%)Layer 1
(%)Layer 2
(%)Layer 3
* etc.

At the top right side of the Layers Palette, click the little triangle, and drop the menu. Choose "New Set From Linked…". This will create "Set 1". Before dismissing the dialogue, change the Blending Mode from "Pass Through" to "Normal."
BJ
bob_jared
Oct 20, 2003
Phosphor –

Thanks so very much – I appreciate the detailed response. Works perfectly.

Bob Jared

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections