Posted By
Sven_Andersson
Oct 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everyone,

Maybe it’s been asked before, but I haven’t found it using search.

Several times Photoshop 7.0 has crashed, causing me to lose valuable time and work. Last time a document that can not be reproduced or found again…

So I’m not happy, to say the least. It made me come here and register especially to express my thoughts, and hopefully get some help.
Even the lamest word processor has auto save, so why not Adobe Photoshop? I can not believe this is still not available on such an expensive and sophisticated (?) product! Or am I mistaken and is it a well kept secret? I’m hoping for the last, so it might save me from such mishaps in the future.

To avoid the obvious comments: I do make backups from time to time, but this is rather inconvenient while working, and one tends to forget this during creative moments. Hence my desire for an auto save option.

Perhaps someone can give me advice if there is a possibility for this, for which I’d be very grateful!

I do hope Adobe staff reads this, and will take some action to solve this problem, it’s long overdue! (again, if it exists I’m sorry, but it is impossible to find!)

Thanks for any useful assistance!

Sven.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
LenHewitt
Oct 20, 2003
Sven,

No there is no auto-backup within Photoshop. Just remember to press CTRL+S often.

An auto-backup could be a serious problem to folks working with large images, as it would totally interupt their workflow for a noticeable length of time at ‘random’ times rather when THEY decided.

Whereas a Word doc or Excel worksheet only takes a couple of seconds to auto-save, a large image can take minutes
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 20, 2003
What Len said is exactly right.

Several times Photoshop 7.0 has crashed, causing me to lose valuable time and work

A better fix would be to find and remove the problem that’s causing photoshop to crash. If you’re interested in doing that give us your system specs, opeating system, other sw installed and what exactly happens when you say "photoshop 7.0 has crashed". (and is it recreatable or random).
SA
Sven_Andersson
Oct 20, 2003
Thanks Guys,

Well, I see your point, but some auto save you could switch on and off could be helpful imho. Then you’d have a choice at least…

For extensive projects I try to make backups, but for things that are supposed to be straightforward and quick I don’t. (didn’t).

Like yesterday, I notice a web page is being removed, so I quickly make a screenshot and past it in PS, I resized it and copy a cutout from a second screenshot (scrolled down to capture the whole page). As I past it into the first frame and move it into position the whole system ‘freezes’. Nothing moves anymore, no mouse action, and even Alt+Ctrl+Del doesn’t work anymore. I need a hard reset…

This usually happens when I’m moving layers around, as it did this time. Only a simple image with two layers! However, since I needed that page to prove something in what may well become a legal affair, this was VERY inconvenient to say the least.

(to make it worse the page I saved to disk was somehow overwritten too, and nowhere to be found in cache either)

Anyway, I have PS 7.0 on an XP pro platform. Running on a new Travelmate 800LCi Centrino. ‘Mouse’ is a Synaptics touchpad. No other photo software running at the same time, only IE browser and Outlook were open, and Norton AV is running always. I suspect PS or the mousepad, though the latest driver is installed for that.

It happens at random, and has occurred like 5 times in a few months. (As said often while moving layers, but not always).

Hope this is useful info, thanks again for your help!
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 20, 2003
the whole system ‘freezes’. Nothing moves anymore, no mouse action, and even Alt+Ctrl+Del doesn’t work anymore. I need a hard reset…

system freezes in XP mean bad hardware, generally. xp is "process isolated" meaning an application (photoshop) can’t bring down the entire system. 99% of the time it’s bad hardware. the other 1% can be caused by a very buggy low level driver (sound, video, etc.) or a bios problem.

see this faq:

Mathias Vejerslev "Computer locks up, shuts down, or reboots while running Photoshop" 6/5/03 4:49pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/1>

Running on a new Travelmate 800LCi Centrino.

as you say it’s new, i’d bring it into the shop under warrenty service. don’t let it wait until the warrenty expires. it ain’t gonna get any better.
SA
Sven_Andersson
Oct 20, 2003
Uh oh, that’s all I need… Well, thanks for the info, I’ll get to do the nice callcentre thingy now, since I bought it over the Internet…
C
Cheesefood
Oct 20, 2003
Well, I see your point, but some auto save you could switch on and off could be helpful imho. Then you’d have a choice at least…

I would curse such an option. Nothing worse could happen then working on a project, realizing you don’t like the last few steps and closing it without remembering that it autosaved that filter you just ran.

Such a feature would be more destructive than constructive.
SA
Sven_Andersson
Oct 20, 2003
Well’you could just leave it permanently switched OFF then eh? At least it would be nice to be able to choose…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections