MS
Posted By
Mark_S_Linley
Oct 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an image I need to blow up but keep the picture clear. If I save it in PSD format, bump up the dpi, and then increase the image size will it look ok? I want it to go from camera picture size (2272 x 1704 pixels or should I say 6 x 4 inches) to a couple metres across. Can PSD deliver what I need?

I use Photoshop 6.0.1.

Cheers!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
LenHewitt
Oct 17, 2003
In a word, No.

That is a MASSIVE re-sampling you are talking about and would, in any case, go over the 30,000 pixel limit of Photoshop. The largest image you could get (irrespective of the low quality!) in those proportions would be 30,000 px by 20,000 px.

Now at a measly 72 ppi that would only make 1058cm x 705.6cm…..
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Oct 17, 2003
Can PSD deliver what I need

Len is right about image size, but I’m not sure I understand your question. The image format…PSD, TIFF, PNG, JPEG etc. has nothing to do with what you’re trying to do. The result would be the same in any of them, except for the loss in saving as JPEG, of course.
Do you need to maintain high resolution (same ppi) in the large image for your intended use? If so, then as Len says, you can only do it with massive upsampling which is unlikely to give you the quality you are looking for. Upsampling just takes the existing pixel data and spreads it out, so you won’t gain image quality from that. There is no magical solution in Photoshop to turn a small image into a large image with the same resolution without loss of image quality.
Bert

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections