K
Posted By
Krishem
Oct 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I get Photoshop to print a large image. I want the photo to tile on several different pieces of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. This is a silloutte that would be painted on a building.

I look forward to any advice.

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GH
Gary_Hummell
Oct 17, 2003
Photoshop is not very handy for doing what you describe. An application like PageMaker or InDesign will export tiled printing easily. In Photoshop you basically have to divide your original image into pieces and print as individual files.

Gary
PC
Patty_Clarke
Oct 17, 2003
Krishem,

I’m not certain I understand your ultimate goal, so I won’t go into a lot of detail–Gary’s correct in that you will have to divide your original image into pieces and print individually–but it’s really not that difficult to do in photoshop.

I got confused when you talked about it being a silhouette that would be painted on the side of a building.

Is your goal to be able to piece together an image printed on letter size paper to then use as an actual "real-life sized pattern" to follow when painting on the side of the building?

How big are we talking?

Basically the process would be:

1) Open your "master" large image in photoshop.

2) Use the photoshop grid feature set to the size for each "piece."

3) Use the "Snap to Grid" function and the rectangular marquee to select each grid. You will then utilize the image-crop function to select and save each tile for printing.

I’ll provide you better step by step instructions if this method I’ve described is any where close to what you are after.

I’ll wait for your input.

Patty
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 17, 2003
"silloutte that would be painted on a building".

Print it on a single transparency and use an overhead projector at night. If it is just a silhouette all you need ot do is trace the outline and fill it in during the day. I have seen much more complicated murals done the same way.
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 17, 2003
If you insist on printing tiles you can make guides, use the grid as described above if you like. Create slices from guides. Save for web (set to high quality JPG). Now you can create an action to batch print the slices.
BG
barry_gray
Oct 17, 2003
projector-what a good idea!
K
Krishem
Oct 17, 2003
Thank you all for your help! This will work. And yes I want this to be almost life size oh a building. You are all the best! Happy Friday and Thanks again
T
ttp328
Oct 17, 2003
A basic program like Broderbund’s PrintMaster will do the job for less than $40 at most stores that sell software.
It has a tile function that will print it out billboard size if that is what you want.
wrote in message
How do I get Photoshop to print a large image. I want the photo to tile on
several different pieces of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. This is a silloutte that would be painted on a building.
I look forward to any advice.

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections