F
Posted By
Fungusamungus
Dec 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
So here I am, still using PS 6 (we have a copy of PS 7 around the office somewhere, but since I don’t have a scanner or tablet hooked up to this computer yet, I haven’t gone digging too deeply), I’ve been certified since June 2000, but you know… it’s boring.

Not that Photoshop really is, I mean, it’s a lot of fun when you’re in there working, putting time in, but when your work strays away from the graphical, it kind of becomes a question of: What to do in Photoshop?

Some people create art. I myself am a traditional artist, so I’m used to starting out drawing something, then scanning it in and using PS to work it up. But what do you do (what can you do?) when you’re sitting there with PS open, and a big ol’ blank canvas, with nothing particular in mind? I’m talking inspiration. Not your typical artistic inspiration, but more specifically, photoshop inspiration.

Am I making sense here? If I’m uninspired, I can open a drawing pad, scratch some lines, doodle, until something reveals itself. But Photoshop (especially sans tablet) is a different tool, a different creature. It seems to me you have to go into it with something in mind, or else you just don’t get a full experience.

Anybody ever face this issue?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

W
W-30
Dec 21, 2003
I find it very inspiring to read tutorials on the net. There are zilions of them. There are so many things you can do with PS. Programs like these in combination with creative people, have options till forever.

Jesus is coming!! Look busy
K
Kingdom
Dec 21, 2003
"Fungusamungus" wrote in
news:oz5Fb.2540$:

So here I am, still using PS 6 (we have a copy of PS 7 around the office somewhere, but since I don’t have a scanner or tablet hooked up to this computer yet, I haven’t gone digging too deeply), I’ve been certified since June 2000, but you know… it’s boring.

Not that Photoshop really is, I mean, it’s a lot of fun when you’re in there working, putting time in, but when your work strays away from the graphical, it kind of becomes a question of: What to do in Photoshop?

Some people create art. I myself am a traditional artist, so I’m used to starting out drawing something, then scanning it in and using PS to work it up. But what do you do (what can you do?) when you’re sitting there with PS open, and a big ol’ blank canvas, with nothing particular in mind? I’m talking inspiration. Not your typical artistic inspiration, but more specifically, photoshop inspiration.
Am I making sense here? If I’m uninspired, I can open a drawing pad, scratch some lines, doodle, until something reveals itself. But Photoshop (especially sans tablet) is a different tool, a different creature. It seems to me you have to go into it with something in mind, or else you just don’t get a full experience.

So whats your point? If PS is not a good starting point for you, don’t start there. If you start better with a pencil then do that.
"Fungusamungus" wrote in message
So here I am, still using PS 6 (we have a copy of PS 7 around the office somewhere, but since I don’t have a scanner or tablet hooked up to this computer yet, I haven’t gone digging too deeply), I’ve been certified
since
June 2000, but you know… it’s boring.

Not that Photoshop really is, I mean, it’s a lot of fun when you’re in
there
working, putting time in, but when your work strays away from the
graphical,
it kind of becomes a question of: What to do in Photoshop?
Some people create art. I myself am a traditional artist, so I’m used to starting out drawing something, then scanning it in and using PS to work
it
up. But what do you do (what can you do?) when you’re sitting there with
PS
open, and a big ol’ blank canvas, with nothing particular in mind? I’m talking inspiration. Not your typical artistic inspiration, but more specifically, photoshop inspiration.

Am I making sense here? If I’m uninspired, I can open a drawing pad,
scratch
some lines, doodle, until something reveals itself. But Photoshop (especially sans tablet) is a different tool, a different creature. It
seems
to me you have to go into it with something in mind, or else you just
don’t
get a full experience.

Hecate
Dec 21, 2003
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:12:04 GMT, "Fungusamungus" wrote:

Hi Fungy ๐Ÿ™‚

You need a tablet attached so you can draw straight into it, but…it’s the same with any creative endeavour – sometimes you can think of something, a cr3eative idea, sometimes you can’t. I find the same problem occurs whether I’m designing a web site, writing fiction or just going out to take some photographs. Sometimes you have the idea, sometimes you don’t. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
S
Stephan
Dec 21, 2003

snip< Am I making sense here? >snip<

Er…no, but that’s OK ๐Ÿ˜‰

Stephan
J
Jannie
Dec 21, 2003
It seems
don’t
get a full experience.

No, I’m never without inspiration; but I’m always without enough time. (So many ideas so little time …)
WS
Warren Sarle
Dec 21, 2003
Some people create art. I myself am a traditional artist, so I’m used to starting out drawing something, then scanning it in and using PS to work
it
PS
open, and a big ol’ blank canvas, with nothing particular in mind? I’m talking inspiration. Not your typical artistic inspiration, but more specifically, photoshop inspiration.

scratch
some lines, doodle, until something reveals itself. But Photoshop (especially sans tablet) is a different tool, a different creature. It
seems
don’t
get a full experience.

You can doodle in Photoshop without a tablet. Try some tool or brush or filter or blending mode you don’t ordinarily use much. Create a new brush or pattern. Do things you’re not supposed to do.

Here’s one of my doodles:
http://home.nc.rr.com/sarle/Doodling.jpg
SB
Sally Beacham
Dec 22, 2003
So here I am, still using PS 6 (we have a copy of PS 7 around the office somewhere, but since I don’t have a scanner or tablet hooked up to this computer yet, I haven’t gone digging too deeply), I’ve been certified
since
June 2000, but you know… it’s boring.

Not that Photoshop really is, I mean, it’s a lot of fun when you’re in
there
working, putting time in, but when your work strays away from the
graphical,
it kind of becomes a question of: What to do in Photoshop?
it
PS

scratch
seems
don’t
get a full experience.

Fun Guy.. buddy… pal… it’s the holiday season. To hell with Photoshop, find yourself a party, a drink, a girl, not necessarily in that order.

Thus you shall be inspired.

Sally Beacham
www.dizteq.com / www.lvsonline.com
Paint Shop Pro, Filter Frenzy, Xara X
sallyATdizteq.com
D
DosBoss57
Dec 22, 2003
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:12:04 GMT, "Fungusamungus" wrote:

Fungus

Try this site www.worth1000.com . Sign up and get into some of the challenges. Not only will you get great ideas but you’ll learn a hell of a lot by trying to figure out how to do stuff. They also have a forum, galleries,tuts and you can view stuff other members have done in contests and how they ranked. I think you might like the place.

Have fun

//ร•ยฟร•\\

DosBoss57

Imagine all the people living life in peace !
H
Hecate
Dec 23, 2003
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 00:13:48 -0500, "Sally Beacham" wrote:

Fun Guy.. buddy… pal… it’s the holiday season. To hell with Photoshop, find yourself a party, a drink, a girl, not necessarily in that order.

And a Happy Christmas to you and all and may your plug ins always be available ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
SB
Sally Beacham
Dec 23, 2003
"Hecate" wrote in message

Fun Guy.. buddy… pal… it’s the holiday season. To hell with
Photoshop,
find yourself a party, a drink, a girl, not necessarily in that order.

And a Happy Christmas to you and all and may your plug ins always be available ๐Ÿ˜‰

AHAHAHAHH I DO suppose you are referring to all my plugin FILTERS?

Happy Holidays, Hecate.

(That’s got a certain ring to it, doesn’t it? ;-))))

Sally
T
thebookdoc
Dec 23, 2003
It seems to me you have to go into it with
something in mind, or else you just don’t
get a full experience.

I have taught creative writing and creative imaging, and perhaps this isn’t what you want to hear but ‘boring’ is in the eye of the beholder. If you are going into Photoshop to do something, it isn’t the program that you will have to expect to perform tricks or keep your interest. YOU have to provide the interest, and perhaps that is one of the hardest things to come to terms with. If I am writing a story and it turns out boring, it is either because I was unable to do something interesting or just having a bad creative day…I’d be hard-pressed to blame that on MS Word (no matter how delightful it might be).

I, for one, very rarely find that there is nothing I can do in Photoshop to make something interesting. My direction might be as stupid as running a few filters on an image, or opening an image at random and playing with it to achieve some interesting results. In writing as with images, teaching creative stuff was always a matter of getting students to realize it was OK to play. My guess is you don’t see it as a game anymore, but as work where something is required, you expect to perform at a specific level, and have led yourself to an impenitrable wall of disappointment.

My books (Elements: http://aps8.com/hppe.html; Photoshop: http://aps8.com/hppscs.html) don’t really get into teaching creativity…and the reason for that is it is too user-centric. A user would buy a book that told them they would become more creative with the expectation of becoming more creative, and, well, that is a tall order to put on myself as an author. I can teach techniques, and even techniques for creativity, but I can’t promise to make a reader creative if they have no capacity…Again, it isn’t the tool or the book or the inspiring object that makes us creative, it would still be the sense of play.

My perscription would be to go into the program without expectation. Open an image and start by doing some basic things like dust corrections and other perhaps mechanical procedures like color correction until you see something in an image that might be interesting to explore…then start playing with it.

I bet you might find some inspiration there.

Richard Lynch
http://hiddenelements.com
H
Hecate
Dec 24, 2003
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:07:44 -0500, "Sally Beacham" wrote:

Photoshop,

Whyever would you think I was referring to anything else? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Happy Holidays, Hecate.

(That’s got a certain ring to it, doesn’t it? ;-))))
LOL!

Have a good time, Sally ๐Ÿ™‚

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
S
Stephan
Dec 24, 2003

I am shocked!I really am.

Merry Xmas to you and Joyeux Noel Sally!

Stephan
H
Hecate
Dec 25, 2003
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 06:47:56 GMT, "Stephan"
wrote:

And Bon Annee (? I’m sure I haven’t spelt that correctly but it’s
2.45am on Christmas morning <g>) to you Stephan.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
S
Stephan
Dec 25, 2003
wrote:

Close enough for that early hour!
Bonne ann
SB
Sally Beacham
Dec 26, 2003
"Stephan" wrote in message
wrote:

And a Happy Christmas to you and all and may your plug ins always
be
available ๐Ÿ˜‰

Close enough for that early hour!
Bonne ann
F
Fungusamungus
Dec 26, 2003
wow, cool pic, Warren!

What, if I may ask, did you use? A mouse and some blending modes? I’ve been working in PS so long and I’m still constantly amazed by what people accomplish in it.

"Warren Sarle" wrote in message
it
PS

scratch
seems
don’t
get a full experience.

You can doodle in Photoshop without a tablet. Try some tool or brush or filter or blending mode you don’t ordinarily use much. Create a new brush or pattern. Do things you’re not supposed to do.

F
Fungusamungus
Dec 26, 2003
"Sally Beacham" wrote in message
Photoshop,

You speak promisingly, but ultimately unaccessibly. But that’s neither here nor there at the moment.

I do wish to thank everyone who replied, as well as share holiday blessings to all!

(would have offered them pre-holiday, but ye olde flu bug zapped me good).

Sally Beacham
www.dizteq.com / www.lvsonline.com
Paint Shop Pro, Filter Frenzy, Xara X
sallyATdizteq.com

H
Hecate
Dec 27, 2003
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:13:15 GMT, "Fungusamungus" wrote:

You speak promisingly, but ultimately unaccessibly. But that’s neither here nor there at the moment.

I do wish to thank everyone who replied, as well as share holiday blessings to all!

(would have offered them pre-holiday, but ye olde flu bug zapped me good).
Ye Olde French Cognac is usually good for that I find. It doesn’t cure it, but you just don’t notice ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Dec 27, 2003
On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 21:30:08 -0500, "Sally Beacham" wrote:

In a highly uncharacteristic show of affection and bonhomie on my behalf –
Holiday Hugs all around!

Hugs to you too, Sally ๐Ÿ™‚

Sally
p.s. Yes, we have broken out the Wolf Blass ’96 Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz. Goes great with leftovers.
Leftover what? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
SB
Sally Beacham
Dec 27, 2003

In a highly uncharacteristic show of affection and bonhomie on my
behalf –
Holiday Hugs all around!

Sally
p.s. Yes, we have broken out the Wolf Blass ’96 Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz. Goes great with leftovers.
Leftover what? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Roast beast, of course.

I’m in quite a jolly mood as my son gave me the most beautiful scarf in the world for Christmas, carefully selected to match "The Eyes."

My son has my eyes and he got his current lady-friend to help him pick it out by telling her to co-ordinate with "The Eyes." Now, this is truly a beautiful scarf, so I am not sure if I should be highly flattered by the both of them, or secretly proud he’s such an outrageous flirt he can get a girl to fall for that line.

Sally
S
Stephan
Dec 27, 2003
"Sally Beacham" wrote in message

In a highly uncharacteristic show of affection and bonhomie on my
behalf –
Holiday Hugs all around!

Sally
Leftover what? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Roast beast, of course.

I’m in quite a jolly mood as my son gave me the most beautiful scarf in
the
world for Christmas, carefully selected to match "The Eyes."
My son has my eyes and he got his current lady-friend to help him pick it out by telling her to co-ordinate with "The Eyes." Now, this is truly a beautiful scarf, so I am not sure if I should be highly flattered by the both of them, or secretly proud he’s such an outrageous flirt he can get a girl to fall for that line.
I can just see that beautiful red scarf.. ๐Ÿ˜›

Stephan
WS
Warren Sarle
Dec 27, 2003
wow, cool pic, Warren!

Thanks.

What, if I may ask, did you use? A mouse and some blending modes? I’ve
been
working in PS so long and I’m still constantly amazed by what people accomplish in it.

A mouse, a simple round brush, Gaussian blur, and some rather ornate curves.

I’ve been working in PS so long and I’m still constantly amazed by what people accomplish in it.

I’m amazed by what talented people can do with paper and pencils or paint. As a statistician, I find Gaussian blur and curves to be much easier to work with. ๐Ÿ™‚

"Warren Sarle" wrote in message
Some people create art. I myself am a traditional artist, so I’m used
to
starting out drawing something, then scanning it in and using PS to
work
it
up. But what do you do (what can you do?) when you’re sitting there
with
PS

scratch
seems
don’t
get a full experience.

SB
Sally Beacham
Dec 27, 2003
"Stephan" wrote in message

I can just see that beautiful red scarf.. ๐Ÿ˜›

Stephan

HAHAHAHAH… no. It’s blue-ish with green-ish streaks, sort of an ombre thing… wait, this is the PS group, I’m supposed to say it’s a gradient.

Sally
H
honimarie
Dec 29, 2003
no, i’m just bored in general
http://www.purepersonals.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections